Chicken Taco Pinwheels are the perfect spring lunch or afternoon snack; they are simple to make, as delicious as can be, and they transport easily!
Loaded with cheeses, chicken and veggies all wrapped in a delicious flatbread, this easy pinwheel recipe will quickly become one of your favorite make ahead meals!
I am excited to have partnered with Flatout Flatbread to bring you this delicious recipe.
Pinwheels are one of my favorite party foods. They are easy to make, they’re even better if they are made ahead of time and everyone always loves them!
While pinwheels make a great appetizer, they’re also perfect as a light meal. I love a meal I can grab & go and one that transports well so I can take it outdoors and savor the sun as much as possible! Pinwheels are a favorite option to take out into the world for al fresco dining or to pack in your picnic basket!
Most often I make these with leftover rotisserie chicken but in the summer we are constantly grilling chicken, corn and veggies… all of them are great additions to this recipe! Using leftovers means less prep, less waste and loads of flavor. In fact, the grilled corn adds so much extra flavor in this recipe, we love to make sure we throw a couple extra cobs on the bbq just for this (but don’t worry, if you don’t have access to fresh corn on the cob, you can use canned or frozen corn as well)!
To make this recipe healthier, I pack these roll ups full of lean protein and veggies and use Flatout® Light Flatbread.
In order to reduce the calories and fat in these, I use light cheeses and I mix in fat free Greek yogurt which is loaded with protein. You can use an envelope of taco seasoning but I most often have a batch of my own homemade taco seasoning so I can control the sodium.
Adding a mixture of fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers not only adds flavor and crunch, it makes these extra pretty if you’re taking them to a gathering. If you like a little heat, feel free to toss in some minced jalapenos as well!
While I favor this recipe for lunch, it makes a great picnic offering or an appetizer at a party. No matter when you serve these, you can guarantee they will practically disappear from the plate to rave reviews!
I absolutely love quick and easy recipes like these easy roll ups, especially in the summer. Flatout Flatbreads are the perfect canvas for grilled chicken or fish, fresh veggies and our favorites sauces for no fuss meals everyone loves. You can find Flatout Flatbreads in the deli/bakery section of most major grocery stores, and you can check here to find a store near you.
Chicken Taco Pinwheels
- 6 Flatout Light Flatbread or 4 large tortillas
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning or homemade
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese finely shredded
- ½ cup each red pepper green pepper and yellow pepper (reserve a bit of each for garnish)
- 1 corn on the cob grilled & kernels removed (or 1 cup frozen kernels, defrosted)
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Using a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, yogurt and taco seasoning until smooth.
- Add the green onion, cheddar cheese, peppers (remember to reserve a bit for garnish if desired), corn and chicken. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Divide the filling equally over the flatbreads or tortillas and spread evenly leaving a 1" border at the edges.
- Gently roll each flatbread, jelly roll style. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, cut each roll into 3/4" slices. Garnish with cilantro and reserved peppers.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
I am excited to have partnered with Flatout Flatbread to bring you this delicious recipe. While I was compensated for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Working with great brands I love allows me to keep bringing you the great recipes you love!