There is nothing quite like a hot breakfast sandwich with melty cheese and a perfectly jammy egg to start the day.
No need to leave the house, they’re so easy to make homemade (and in just minutes)!
These can be made ahead or on the spot for a quick grab-and-go breakfast. Keep a few in the freezer and let everyone help themselves!
Perfect Grab-and-Go Breakfast
Breakfast sandwiches are quick and easy to prepare, ready in under 20 mins!
Made with classic breakfast ingredients like eggs, bacon, and cheese these English muffin sandwiches are irresistible! Topped with a homemade sandwich sauce, they are a family favorite.
The Canadian bacon and English muffins are all cooked at once in the oven for an easy way to feed a crowd.
They are also make-ahead friendly and freeze perfectly, making them the perfect grab-and-go breakfast. Just pop in the microwave and you’ll have a hot and ready breakfast as you head out the door!
Ingredients & Variations
EGGS No classic breakfast sandwich is complete without an egg. Cook them till the yolks are just set, fully cooked through, or scramble them, whatever your preference!
BACON We love topping our sandwiches with Canadian bacon, leftover ham, or oven bacon!
CHEESE Anything and everything goes. Cheddar cheese, mozzarella, or Havarti are all great options! For a little extra spice try topping it with Monterey Jack or pepper jack.
SAUCE The homemade sauce in this recipe is the perfect complement to a classic breakfast sandwich. You can keep it simple and serve salsa, a homemade hollandaise sauce, or a cheese sauce for a fun change!
Breakfast sandwiches don’t have to be exactly like the drive-through variety. Add mashed avocado for a great twist on Avocado Toast. Top them with your favorite veggies, like sauteed bell peppers, onions, or spinach. Have fun and get creative!
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
The best way to make breakfast sandwiches is assembly-line style so they all come together at the same time. This is great for making extras for the freezer!
- Toast English muffins and heat ham all on one pan in the oven.
- While English muffins are heating cook eggs on the stove.
- Top warm English muffins & ham with eggs and serve!
How to Freeze
Breakfast sandwiches are easy to freeze after they are already made. They can be frozen just as they are for an easy reheat!
To Freeze Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, label with a date and place wrapped sandwiches in a large freezer bag.
Write the date on the outside and pop them in the freezer!
To Cook From Frozen Remove from plastic wrap, wrap in paper towel. Microwave at 30% power for 30 seconds. Heat at full power for an additional 55-65 seconds or until heated through.
Or just place frozen in a lunchbox or backpack. By lunchtime, they’ll be thawed out and ready to heat!
Delicious Breakfast Dishes
- Homemade Eggs Benedict – just 4 ingredients!
- Breakfast Enchiladas – chock full of ham
- Make Ahead Egg Muffins – great grab-and-go
- Easy Quiche – loaded with ham, cheese, & green onions
- Cheesy Breakfast Pizza – so easy to make!
- Breakfast Tacos – a family favorite
Did you enjoy these Classic Breakfast Sandwiches? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Classic Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Canadian bacon or 4 slices ham
- 4 English muffins split
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- dash of hot sauce
- Mix sandwich sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Place muffins on a baking sheet, split side up and place under the broiler 2-3 minutes or until lightly crisped. Remove from the oven and spread each with sandwich sauce. Top 4 halves with Canadian bacon or ham and top 4 with cheese.
- Heat butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Crack eggs into the skillet and season with salt & pepper. Allow to cook about 1 minute to set the edges. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover with a lid. Cook 3-5 minutes or just until the yolks begin to set.
- While eggs are cooking, place English muffins back under the broiler to melt the cheese and heat the bacon.
- Add egg to each sandwich and serve!
- Avocado slices
- Tomato Slices
- Arugula or fresh spinach