Bourbon Chicken in the Crock Pot (video)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken is easy and delicious! Tender juicy chicken is cooked in a rich bourbon ginger sauce for a delicious meal.
We love this Crock Pot meal served over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken
Pin it to your SLOW COOKER board to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I’ve read that Bourbon Chicken got it’s name because it was supposedly created by a Chinese cook who worked in a restaurant on Bourbon Street. Regardless of the name or how it came to be, this dish is absolutely delicious! This recipe creates a sweet and tender chicken that is perfect served over rice and it’s easy to make at home in the slow cooker!
The marinade for this Bourbon Chicken recipe takes just a few minutes of prep the marinade and then it simmers in the slow cooker all day! The result is insanely tender chicken with a sweet Asian inspired sauce and lots of flavor! We serve this over rice to soak up all of the delicious sauce!
5 Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes You NEED in Your Life
- Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings: Juicy chicken breasts cook to tender perfection in the slow cooker in a rich creamy sauce. Shortcut dumplings make this deliciously comforting meal effortless for a family favorite everyone will agree on.
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken: Tender shredded chicken in a deliciously garlicky honey garlic sauce. Perfect served over rice or noodles!
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos: This easy 4 ingredient recipe is perfect for tacos, enchiladas or even over rice for a delicious taco bowl!
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy: Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy! A complete Sunday meal in one pot. While it takes only minutes of prep, this tender, juicy chicken & gravy tastes like you’ve been in the kitchen all day.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili: This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili recipe comes together in just a few minutes and creates a hearty and healthy dinner that the entire family will love!
Note: All recipes on SpendWithPennies.com are tested and retested. This recipe has been slightly updated from the original simplifying the cooking method.
A few notes about this recipe… this dish is sweet as Bourbon chicken is a sweet dish (similar to sweet and sour). Do not use light soy sauce, the results and flavor are not the same. Chicken thighs are best in this recipe as they won’t dry out like slow cooked chicken breasts sometimes do!
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken is easy and delicious! Tender juicy chicken is cooked in a rich bourbon ginger sauce for a delicious meal. We love this Crock Pot meal served over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
Place chicken in slow cooker, pour sauce over top. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or on high 3 hours.
Remove chicken and chop into bite sized pieces and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, combine 3 tablespoons water with cornstarch. Turn slow cooker up to high. Whisk cornstarch slurry into the sauce. Cover and allow to thicken, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes). Stir chicken back into the sauce and add in green onions.
Serve over rice.
This recipe is best made with regular (not light) soy sauce.
The sauce can also be thickened on the stove top. Create the slurry as above and whisk over medium heat until thickened. Return to slow cooker with chicken and stir in green onions.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)