Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken is easy and delicious! Tender juicy chicken is cooked in a rich bourbon ginger sauce for a delicious meal. The whole family will love. Serve it over rice, with a side of steamed broccoli, or inside some dinner rolls for a delicious bourbon chicken sandwich!
This Crock Pot bourbon chicken recipe takes all the work out of making dinner, making it perfect for busy weeknights. We love coming home to fall-apart, flavorful and tender chicken. It’s great just about any way you serve it!
Bourbon chicken received its name because it was created by a Chinese cook who worked in a restaurant on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Regardless of the name or how it came to be, this dish is absolutely delicious! This recipe creates a sweet and tender chicken that is perfect served over rice and it’s easy to make at home in the slow cooker!
The bourbon chicken sauce takes just a few minutes of prep the marinade and then it simmers in the slow cooker all day! The result is insanely tender chicken with a sweet Asian inspired sauce and lots of flavor.
How To Make Bourbon Chicken
To make this Crock Pot bourbon chicken:
- Combine sauce ingredients together and pour over chicken thighs.
- Turn the Slow Cooker to HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the chicken and create a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.
A few notes about this recipe… this dish is sweet as Bourbon chicken is a sweet dish (similar to sweet and sour). Do not use light soy sauce, the results and flavor are not the same. Chicken thighs are best in this recipe as they won’t dry out like slow cooked chicken breasts sometimes do!
5+ Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes You NEED in Your Life
- Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings – a classic!
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken – sweet and savory
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – uber flavorful
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy – great for entertaining!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili – so easy
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken – juicy shredded chicken!
Did you enjoy this Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup sliced green onions (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in slow cooker, pour sauce over top. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or on high 3 hours.
- Remove chicken and chop into bite sized pieces and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine 3 tablespoons water with cornstarch. Turn slow cooker up to high. Whisk cornstarch slurry into the sauce. Cover and allow to thicken, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes). Stir chicken back into the sauce and add in green onions.
- Serve over rice.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
the flavour is 5 stars but gave it a 4 because I used chicken breast instead of thighs which would have released more fat, but used only 2lbs so assumed the difference would have made for lots of extra sauce…nope. it was just enough to coat the chicken, no extra like in the photo. will try with a fattier chicken next time. otherwise, followed the recipe exactly and it was delish!
This was so delicious and will be a meal we go back to again. Such a flavorful sauce! We used chicken breasts (cubed at the start) instead of chicken thighs. We also used water instead of the apple juice because we had none on hand.
What would be the difference if made with light soy sauce please as I find regular soy too salty tasting.
The sauce may be slightly lighter in flavor, but will still be delicious! If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out Ellie!
Thinking about making a meal out of this by adding either broccoli or cauliflower to it and spooning that over the rice as suggested. Guess I’d just have to deal with spooning out the veggies with the chicken before stirring in the slurry or cook the veggie on the stove top and add it in when adding back the chicken. Your thoughts?
That’s a great idea Dennis. Either would work, but I often cook them on the side so they don’t get overcooked in the Crock Pot.
This was a hit for my entire family, even for my picky 16-year-old! I served the meat on Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns. delicious, and crock pot easy? A+. Thank you for this recipe!
Hi, I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest. I’d love to make it, but it’s just my husband and myself eating. I was wondering if this can be made and then put half in the freezer? Or would it be better to half the recipe at the start? Thank you for your reply.
Yes, this recipe freezes well. It might need to be thickened a bit more once it’s thawed.
Thanks so much for your very interesting recipes, I love reading them, and plan to make several soon!
I am so glad you have been enjoying the recipes Nancy!