Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad is one of our favorite versions of classic tuna salad! When you add in a handful of veggies and some pasta, this becomes an entire meal in no time at all!
This pasta salad recipe is a warm weather go-to for quick meals or even potlucks!
What’s In Tuna Pasta Salad?
Just like most tuna recipes (think tuna casserole or tuna melts) this pasta salad is simple and delicious. With two main ingredients, tuna and pasta this dish is no-fuss and great as a quick dinner or an easy lunch.
This pasta salad uses sweet pickle relish in the dressing but of course you swap it with chopped dill pickles (but you may want to add a pinch of sugar to the dressing if you do).
- Tuna: Choose good quality tuna that is packed in water so it doesn’t make the rest of the salad oily. Be sure to drain it well.
- Pasta: A medium shape pasta works well for this recipe like rotini or shells, the ridges grab the dressing well adding lots of flavor!
How to Make Tuna Pasta Salad
Making a pasta salad isn’t hard! With a little prep work and three easy steps, you can have this salad ready in 30 mins!
- Boil a large pot of water and cook the pasta. Drain, set aside to cool.
- Drain tuna and add in vegetables.
- Gently fold in the mayonnaise and add diced cheddar cheese (cheese is optional).
Whether making in advance or making fresh to eat, keep it chilled until you are ready to serve. Add in a little salt and pepper to taste and watch the flavors pop when served cold!
Here’s How to Store It
Keep your tuna pasta salad in a sealed container so it doesn’t absorb the flavors of the other things in the refrigerator. And if taking to a potluck, put ice packs in a cooler around it to keep it chilled!
When serving it outdoors where everyone is helping themselves, put the salad in a bowl and try to position it on a small tray or plate of ice to keep it cold. Stir frequently to keep it all the same temperature!
More Delicious Pasta Salads
- Italian Pasta Salad – reader favorite!
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad – Party favorite
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad – rich, creamy dressing!
- Pesto Pasta Salad – ready in 20 mins!
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad– full of veggies!
Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
- 3 cups rotini pasta measured dry
- 6 ounces canned tuna drained
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 3/4 cup baby peas defrosted and drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese diced (optional)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Combine all dressing ingredients and set aside.
Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)