This Almond Poppy Seed Cake is made with simple, yet bold flavors – a dense almond cake loaded with poppy seeds and topped with a whipped vanilla frosting. A cozy and easy sheet cake that belongs on every dessert table.
I’ve never really been one to choose almonds as a snack, although I do enjoy them in the occasional salad. My love for almond comes more in the form of baked goods and the use of almond extract. I love the cozy strong flavor it adds to cakes and cookies, and let’s face it, we’d all rather eat an almond cupcake than almond butter.
Last month I shared these delicious Pumpkin Amaretto Cheesecake Bars with all of you, in that recipe, almond helped to amplify the main flavor of the dessert, the pumpkin. But in this cake, the almond is the star! And it’s getting a strong assist with some poppy seeds and a delicious vanilla whipped cream frosting!
I personally think this Almond Poppy Seed Cake is the perfect addition to the holiday dessert table. It adds a sweet and simple option for those who aren’t feeling the pumpkin and peppermint craze of the season.
One thing I’ve always really loved about almond flavor is that it has an essence of cherries and that mix of nuts and fruit is pure comfort. But did you know that poppy seeds have a similar flavor profile?
When a poppyseed is whole, it actually has a nutty flavor, but when ground down, it’s fruity. Kinda crazy, right? That’s why I’m a firm believer that almonds and poppy seeds were made for each other, especially when it comes to baked goods!
This Almond Poppy Seed Cake is sweet and dense, almost like a cross between a traditional fluffy cake and a pound cake. The frosting itself is extremely light and smooth and adds a soft vanilla flavor to the powerful almond. It’s cozy in every way and I highly recommend topping it off with a bit of cinnamon sugar for a spicy finish!
Almond Poppy Seed Cake
- 1 box white cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup instant vanilla pudding powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray (even if it's a non-stick pan).
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix together the cake mix, flour, sugar, poppyseeds, and salt. Add in the milk, oil, extracts, sour cream, and egg whites and beat for two minutes.
- Bake for 25 to 25 minutes until the cake comes clean when a knife or toothpick is inserted into the center. Allow to cool in pan completely before frosting.
- Whip frosting ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer with a whisk attachment. A stand mixer will result in a fluffier frosting, but frosting made with a hand mixer will do just fine as well and should give you enough to over the top of the cake. Whip for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread evenly over the top of the cooled cake and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
Want more great sheet cake recipes? Try these out!
Coconut Sheet Cake