Sour Cream Cranberry Bars are the perfect recipe to make for the holiday season. They are fruity, sweet and tart, and ideal for sharing with your friends and family to bring the flavor of cranberry season to your table.
I love cranberries! They are one of my favorite things about the seasons changing and fall turning into winter! I love the tart fruity flavor they can bring to any dish, sweet or savory, and this Sour Cream Cranberry Bar recipe is no exception! This recipe combines both dried and fresh cranberries for loads of incredible cranberry flavor.
These easy bars combine a buttery crumbly oat base with the sweet and tangy texture of fresh cranberries in a creamy sour cream layer.
While the base is setting up for about 10 minutes in the oven, you’ll combine the cranberries into a creamy sour cream layer. Fresh lemon juice and rind are mixed with the cranberries adding a whole new dimension of delicious (feel free to sub in orange zest if you prefer)!
These bars are perfect with a cup of coffee and they also go great with a glass of milk for the kids. The color of the berries catch your eye and are perfect for Holiday gatherings but simple enough to make for the lunch box!
Sour Cream Cranberry Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add oats and flour and mix until well combined.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of oat mixture for topping. Press the remaining mixture into an ungreased 9x13 pan. Bake 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, sour cream, cranberries, egg, flour, lemon zest and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake an additional 23-26 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into squares.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)