Red Wine Chocolate Cake is one of those desserts that is almost too good to be true! It combines a scrumptious moist chocolate cake and gives it a hug with sweet red wine. The raspberry buttercream icing takes the cake to a whole new level of decadence that you won’t want to miss!
Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Buttercream Icing; this is the stuff that my foodie dreams are made of. The fluffiness of the pink icing, the inspiring moment of adding sweet red wine to the batter and the decadence of a dark chocolate cake, come together to create a one of a kind dessert that you won’t want to miss.
When I’m in the kitchen, I’m usually cooking rather than baking so when I was given the opportunity to review this beautiful cookbook, I was thrilled. Lindsay’s cakes are always completely stunning and look delicious (and now I can attest to the fact that they ARE delicious).
In addition (and I think this was my favorite part) there are TONS of step-by-step tutorials including photographs for everything from perfect buttercream frosting to piping and coloring. It’s the perfect book for someone like me who needs a little guidance to take a cake from average to amazing.
The next time you have had a rough day or are in need of a one of a kind cake that is as yummy as it is pretty, let me recommend this recipe. It comes from the book Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes (you can grab your copy here) and it truly is a simply beautiful cake!
I have to say, combining a homemade dark chocolate cake with red wine is nothing short of brilliant. The flavor is incredible and the cake itself is gorgeous. It will catch and hold your attention, practically beckoning you to taste the raspberry buttercream frosting! This is one of those recipes I will be baking time and time again, as the cake is true decadence.
Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Butter Cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 g)
- 2 cups sugar (414 g)
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder blend such as Hershey’s Special Dark (85 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (15 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet red wine (240 ml)
- ¾ cup milk room temperature (180 ml)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil (180 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (8 ml)
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups fresh raspberries (125 g)
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature (224 g)
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening (142 g)
- 6 cups powdered sugar divided (690 g)
- pink gel icing color as needed
- sprinkles as needed
- chocolate bar optional, for chocolate shavings
- Grease a 9 x13-inch cake pan and preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, combine the wine, milk, oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Pour the wine mixture into the flour mixture and mix until smooth. (The batter will be thin).
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake 34 to 36 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Add the raspberries to a food processor and puree. Strain the puree through a mesh sieve to remove the seeds, and then set the puree aside. You should have about 5 tablespoons (75 ml) of puree after straining it.
- Beat the butter and shortening until smooth. Add 3 cups (345 g) of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add raspberry puree and mix until smooth. Add the remaining 3 cups (345 g) powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- With your cake horizontal, pipe one vertical row at a time. For the second row, the dallops should be off set to fill in the gaps
- Once the whole cake is covered, top with some sprinkles and chocolate shavings (made by grating the chocolate bar over the cake).
- This cake is best eaten within 2 to 3 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
More Recipes That You Will Love: