Pineapple Casserole is a salty-sweet side dish that’s popular in the South and always a hit at pot lucks. It’s made with pineapple, cheddar cheese, salty crackers, and a few other ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to prepare!
If you’re serving up a honey baked ham for the holidays, this pineapple cheese casserole compliments it perfectly. Finish this meal off with a side of cheesy scalloped potatoes and some 30 minute dinner rolls, and I promise, everyone is going to want seconds!
What Is Pineapple Casserole?
This casserole is a popular Southern side dish made with crushed pineapple, pineapple chunks, and cheddar cheese with crackers.
I know, it sounds like a really strange dish, but the flavors work! And I promise if you show up with this dish and a pitcher of Christmas Punch, you’ll be everyone’s favorite person! Really, it’s the best!
How To Make Pineapple Casserole:
This pineapple casserole recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3! With just a 5-minute prep time and 30 minutes to bake, it’s the perfect last-minute side dish for the holidays!
- Filling: Combine ingredients together and transfer to a baking dish. A 9 or 10-inch pie pan will work or a 9×9 or 10×10-inch square dish will work. If you want to double the recipe for a large crowd, use a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Topping: Melt butter in the microwave, then mix crushed crackers until evenly coated.
- Combine: Spread the crackers over the top of the pineapple mixture and bake until the crumbs are golden brown.
Is Pineapple Casserole A Dessert?
Not really, but it could go either way. It does taste like a salty pineapple pie!
For a yummy pineapple dessert, I love serving this easy 3 Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake!
Can Pineapple Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, it can, but honestly, it’s so easy to prep that I think prepping it ahead is actually harder because there are more steps to take.
If you MUST prep it ahead:
- Mix together the pineapple filling
- Transfer it to the baking dish
- Wrap with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Just before baking, mix together the topping and sprinkle over the pineapple mixture. You don’t want to add the crackers prior or they could get soggy.
Does Pineapple Casserole Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes. Once baked, it can be left at room temperature for an hour or two and then should be placed in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap or in an air-tight container.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Corn – just 10 mins prep
- Broccoli Rice Casserole – made from scratch!
- Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole – another sweet & savory side!
- Green Bean Casserole – baked in a creamy sauce!
- Corn Casserole – made with 6 simple ingredients
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple drained
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks drained
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 40 Ritz crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, flour, sugar, and cheese. Transfer the mixture to a 9x9 or 10x10-inch baking dish. A 9 or 10-inch pie dish may also be used.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter and crushed crackers until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the crackers over the top of the pineapple mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- For a larger crowd, double the recipe and bake in a 9x13-inch pan.
- Granulated sugar may be used instead of light brown sugar.
- Other butter crackers may be used instead of Ritz, you should have about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of crushed crackers.