These decadent, surprise-inside peanut butter fudge brownies are made of fudgy chocolate brownies with a thick layer of simple peanut butter fudge sandwiched in the middle!
Is there even a better flavor combination than peanut butter and chocolate? If there is, I haven’t found it yet.
It’s one of my favorite combinations, and I’m constantly trying to come up with new ways to marry these two flavors together. That’s why this month I knew I wanted to share a peanut butter and chocolate recipe with you — in the form of these peanut butter fudge brownies!
I like to make most of my recipes from scratch, but I did try these out with a box-mix as well since I know how popular those can be for saving time!
However, while you can make this recipe work with a box mix, I definitely recommend making the brownie layers for this recipe from scratch, not just because it tastes better but because it’s much easier to layer into the pan.
When you spread the first half of this homemade brownie batter into the pan, it sets a little while you are preparing the fudge and you can easily spread the peanut butter fudge over the first half. When I tried this with a box-mix, the brownie batter was very liquid-y, and it ended up being more of a messy, uneven combination of brownie batter and fudge, and there wasn’t quite enough batter to cover the top. I definitely recommend making the easy homemade brownie batter, instead!
I slightly modified my absolute favorite brownies from scratch for this recipe to keep things nice and simple (nearly as easy as a box-mix, really!). They’re fudgy, very chocolaty, and can be made in just one bowl.
The peanut butter layer couldn’t be simpler to make — just combine your ingredients in a saucepan and stir until everything is melted, no candy thermometer or fancy equipment needed!
These peanut butter fudge brownies do take a bit longer to cook than your average brownies because of how thick they are (thanks to their rich peanut butter centers!), but preparing and assembling them is a breeze, as you’ll see in the recipe below.
Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies
- 18 Tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into Tbsp-sized pieces)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Peanut Butter Fudge
- 2 cups white chocolate chips*
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 13x9 pan with baking spray
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, microwave for another 15 seconds and then stir well again. Repeat for 15 seconds until chocolate and butter are completely melted and well-combined.
- Add cocoa powder and stir well.
- Add sugars, stir until completely combined.
- Add eggs and then egg yolk, one at a time, stirring well after each addition
- Add vanilla extract and salt, stir to combine.
- Add flour, stir until completely combined.
- Spread approximately 1/2 of the batter evenly into prepared pan and make your peanut butter fudge
- Combine peanut butter chips, condensed milk, and peanut butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir frequently until peanut butter chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and salt, and pour evenly over brownie batter in pan, use a spatula to spread evenly, if necessary.
- Allow to set for about 5 minutes, and then spread the remaining batter over the fudge, doing your best to cover completely with brownie batter.
- Bake on 350F for 40-50 minutes, use a toothpick to check for doneness at 40 minutes (toothpick should come out with few fudgy moist crumbs, but not wet batter).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving. The longer you allow the brownies to set the firmer the fudge will become.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Other Recipes You May Enjoy