Homemade Chicken Spaghetti is one of those easy, cheesy casserole dishes that will become a family favorite in your house in no time. I know it is in mine! Tender chicken and pasta are tossed in an easy homemade cheese sauce and set to bake until golden and bubbly!
An Easy Casserole
If you like simple, filling and satisfying casseroles, then this chicken spaghetti recipe is for you. Prepping it is easy and even more so if you make it with rotisserie chicken or leftover Oven Baked Chicken Breasts!
Just like a traditional baked spaghetti casserole, the ingredients are basic, and probably staples in your kitchen already. In addition to the chicken, which you need to cook and shred in advance, you just need spaghetti, canned diced tomatoes, broth, cream, and cheeses!
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti
If you are making chicken spaghetti with rotisserie chicken, then there is no need to cook the chicken in advance. Just shred two cups and set aside. If you are cooking from scratch, you can make make Poached Chicken (although I usually have a big batch of crock pot shredded chicken in the freezer for recipes like this).
Then, just follow these simple steps for the best-ever baked chicken spaghetti:
- Cook the spaghetti until it is al dente
- Make the cream sauce and cook until thick and bubbly. Add in the cheeses (remember to remove the sauce from the heat before adding the cheese).
- Stir in the pasta, chicken and tomatoes and place in a greased casserole dish.
- Top with more cheese and bake until bubbly!
Allow your baked chicken spaghetti to rest for five minutes to firm up.
Short Cut Chicken Spaghetti Sauce
Short on time? Make a Short Cut Chicken Spaghetti Recipe! Try it with canned cream of mushroom soup, and a can or two of Rotel tomatoes instead! It will still be tasty and satisfying. Be sure to buy the rotel without lime added!
Here’s a quick and easy shortcut sauce for chicken spaghetti:
- Sautee peppers and onions.
- Add in one can of cream of mushroom soup and 3/4 pound diced processed cheese (like Velveeta). Heat until melted and creamy.
- Season with onion and garlic powders and pepper (the Velveeta and soup have plenty of salt already, so you may not need to add any.)
- Continue as directed in the recipe.
Now all that’s left is to bake and enjoy!
What to Serve With Spaghetti Casserole: Serve up whatever your favorites to go along with an Easy Lasagna or Cheesy Chicken Casserole are. For us that usually means a fresh green salad (or kale salad) and some dinner rolls or biscuits.
Can You Freeze Chicken Spaghetti? Chicken spaghetti freezes exceptionally well, so go ahead and make it in advance. Once you place it in the casserole dish, you don’t need to bake it first, just freeze for up to four months.
Here’s a little trick: Line your dish with parchment paper and let it freeze solid, then transfer to a large freezer bag. That way you don’t have to tie up your casserole dish for months. The chicken spaghetti is already pre-formed for the dish, so all you have to do is slide it back in when you’re ready to reheat.
You can cook this directly from frozen (but be careful, most glass dishes cannot go from freezer to oven). Cover it in foil to prevent the cheese topping from overcooking. Cook at 375°F for about an hour, or until it is piping hot throughout!
Baked chicken spaghetti is rich and super filling. It doesn’t need many fussy side dishes. I like to serve it with bread sticks or garlic bread, and a cucumber salad or fresh green salad dressed with vinaigrette for some color and crunch.
More Family Favorite Casseroles
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – A fun twist on a favorite Italian meal!
- Easy Tuna Casserole – Classic and simple.
- Hamburger Casserole – Zesty beef and noodles!
- Salsa Chicken Casserole – Chicken and rice with lots of flavor!
- Eggplant Parmesan– Satisfying and delicious!
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – Personal favorite recipe!
- 8 ounces spaghetti cooked
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cloved garlic minced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup light cream
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes drained or tomatoes with chilis
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook spaghetti al dente. Drain well.
- Cook onion, garlic and bell pepper in butter until tender. Add flour and seasonings. Cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth and cream a little bit at a time until smooth. Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, add parmesan cheese and 1 cup cheddar. Mix until smooth and melted. Season with season and pepper to taste.
- Combine spaghetti, chicken, cream sauce and canned tomatoes, mix well. Spread in a greased 9x13 dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)