Ham balls are a great recipe, the perfect way to enjoy leftover ham!
Savory ham and pork meatballs in a quick zesty sauce. These make a great meal served over rice or even an appetizer for snacking on! Pop some into a hoagie sandwich with cheese and onions for a new favorite!
What are Ham Balls?
Ham is finely diced (or processed in the food processor as you would for a ham salad) and combined with ground beef, pork, onions, and seasonings.
They’re baked in a simple (shortcut) sauce and great served over rice.
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT Our recipe uses a 1:1 ratio of beef and pork, and then a full cup of ground ham, which makes this a great recipe for using up leftovers.
SAUCE The sauce is simple and zesty. Using condensed tomato soup makes the sauce a little bit creamy. For a sweeter flavor, add some pineapple juice!
How to Make Ham Balls
Ham balls are as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Place ham in the food processor and process until it is crumbled.
- Mix ham ball ingredients & form into meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a casserole dish, spaced evenly.
- Cover with sauce & foil, bake per recipe instructions, turning once.
- Baked ham balls in sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days as long as they are covered. Simply reheat them in the microwave.
- Freeze ham balls with the sauce in zippered bags with the date written on the outside. They will keep for about 6 weeks.
So Many Meatballs!
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs – a family favorite
- Porcupine Meatballs – so juicy & tender
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs – in a homemade tomato sauce
- Greek Meatballs – a simple & flavorful appetizer
- All-Purpose Turkey Meatballs – freezer friendly
Did your family love these Ham Balls? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound lean ground pork
- 8 ounces ground ham about 3 cups, see note
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Cool completely.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine ham ball ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form into 1" meatballs and place in a 9x13 pan.
- Spread sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Uncover, flip meatballs over and cook an additional 20-25 minutes or until sauce is thickened and meatballs are cooked through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Adapted from Riley, Ethel. “Ham Balls.” Circulation Service. Rapid City, SD, 1990. 86. Print.