Easy Chicken Chow Mein is the favorite you can make at home in minutes! Tender chicken, fresh veggies and chow mein noodles are tossed in a savory sauce that tastes better than your local Chinese restaurant.
What is Chow Mein?
The name “chow mein” means stir-fried noodles, chow being “stir fry” and mein meaning noodles. This recipe is a soft noodle dish that contains stir-fried chicken and vegetables which are then tossed with fried noodles.
You can easily modify this chow mein recipe by replacing the chicken with pork, beef or tofu and mixing up the vegetables however you like!
How Do You Make Chicken Chow Mein?
This easy Chicken Chow Mein recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and most of the time is spent cutting up the chow mein ingredients. Be sure to have everything chopped and ready to go before you begin cooking because everything cooks super fast once you get going.
- Cook and drain noodles and set aside.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice wine, oyster sauce, and sesame oil and set aside.
- Cook chicken until cooked through. Add veggies and cook until cooked crisp tender. Stir all the ingredients with noodles and sauce, cooking until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Serve immediately.
More Homemade Favorites
- Super Easy Szechuan Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Pad Thai
- Singapore Chow Mei Fun with Shrimp
- Stir Fry Veggies – a fantastic side
Chicken Chow Mein
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup matchstick cut carrots
- ½ cup chopped snowpeas
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 6 ounces chow mein noodles or other thin egg noodles like ramen, cooked according to package directions.
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Chow Mein Sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine chinese cooking wine (can substitute chicken stock for the wine)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat the oil in a stir fry pan or deep skillet over high heat.
- Add the garlic to the oil and cook for 1 minute being sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until almost cooked through. (approx. 4-5 minutes)
- Push the chicken to the sides of the pan and add the vegetables to the center of the pan. Cook the vegetables until crisp, tender. (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Stir all the ingredients together in the pan to combine. Add the noodles and the Chow Mein Sauce. Toss to combine.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Chow Mein Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, oyster sauce, rice wine and sesame oil.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)