Cajun Shrimp Pasta is a delicious creamy tomato pasta with shrimp, peppers, onions, and lots of delicious cajun seasoning!
The sauce is simple and takes very little time while the shrimp is perfectly seasoned with our favorite cajun seasoning (Andy Roo’s). This easy one-pot wonder takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
A Flavorful Favorite
We love to make this recipe as a weeknight meal and we’re sure you will too!
- This dish takes about 30 minutes making it fast!
- The sauce is simple and zesty with crushed tomatoes and cream plus a liberal dose of cajun seasoning.
- We love shrimp but add in some chicken or sausage if you’d like.
- Green and red bell pepper are veggies we usually have on hand, if you just have one or the other use, that!
Ingredients and Variations
PASTA Penne pasta is the perfect pasta for the Cajun sauce to cling to, but fusilli, rotini, or other medium pasta shapes!
SHRIMP Shrimp is the shining star of this recipe (although smoked sausage is a delicious addition)!
VEGETABLES Colorful bell peppers give the dish some flair. Onions add flavor.
SAUCE The sauce is made with simple ingredients but full of flavor. We use crushed tomatoes but if you like a chunky sauce, diced tomatoes work too.
Our Favorite Cajun Seasoning is one we learned of in cooking classes in New Orleans. Andy Roo’s seasonings are delicious and jam-packed with flavor. I love them because they are less salty than most brands while still packing a big flavor punch (and they’re made in Louisana).
If you don’t have Andy Roo’s, I’d suggest homemade cajun seasoning. If using a store-bought brand, taste it first as some brands can be quite salty and oversalt the dish.
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Pasta
Cajun Shrimp Pasta is one of those quick-to-make meals that delivers bold flavor.
- Toss shrimp with Cajun Seasoning and garlic powder. Sauté in oil, remove and set aside.
- Cook onion with peppers and sausage.
- Stir in remaining ingredients & simmer until thickened.
Add parm and mix it all together. So good!
Tips for Perfect Pasta
- Choose shrimp that are whole and uniform in size (and peeled). They should be odorless and make sure they are firm and plump.
- The fast and easy way to clean a shrimp is to cut across the top of the back to the tail. Pull the shell away from the shrimp by grabbing the legs. Pull toward the tail and the entire shell, legs, and tail should come off easily.
- If buying peeled shrimp, choose shrimp with tails off for easier eating.
- Use bacon grease instead of oil for an even more flavor.
- Don’t overcook the pasta (and be sure to salt the water).
- Store leftover Cajun Shrimp Pasta in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The flavors will blend and taste even better!
- We don’t recommend freezing pasta since it gets mushy when it thaws out, but Cajun Shrimp Pasta makes great leftovers everyone can enjoy all week!
Other Tasty Shrimp Entrées
- Kung Pao Shrimp – perfect with rice
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- Crispy Air Fryer Shrimp – simple entrée or appetizer
- Garlic Butter Sheet Pan Shrimp
- Shrimp Etouffee
- Shrimp Tacos – great for Mexican night
- Easy Shrimp Alfredo – creamy & easy
Did you love this Cajun Shrimp Pasta? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 bell peppers red & green, diced
- 8 ounces smoked sausage sliced (optional)
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toss shrimp with ½ of the Cajun seasoning and the garlic powder.
- Heat a medium frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook shrimp 2-3 minutes per side or until barely cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- While shrimp is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion until softened about 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and sausage if using and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and remaining cajun seasoning. Simmer until thickened or 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in pasta, parmesan, and shrimp and stir until heated through. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)