An Acai Bowl is a quick and healthy breakfast or afternoon snack!
To make just prepare the smoothie base and top with your favorite ingredients. Ready in 10 minutes, it’s quick and easy and oh so delicious!
What is an Acai Bowl?
Acai is the mashed fruit of the acai palm that comes from Brazil. The pulp makes a great base for smoothies and acai is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. And that’s just the acai!
Acai bowls are low in sugar (depending on your choice of toppings and add-ins) and make for a great alternative to processed dairy desserts.
Acai berries also have a pretty unique nutritional profile for a fruit, they are low in sugar and higher in healthy fats. Which is why an acai bowl fills you up for much longer than a traditional smoothie bowl.
Ingredients & Variations
ACAI To get that deep purple color you can use frozen acai packets (above left in the image) or acai powder. You can find frozen Acai in almost any grocery store. It’s often with the frozen fruit or with the organic or healthier items.
For this recipe, we used one frozen acai packet which is approximately 2 tablespoons of acai powder.
LIQUID I use apple juice most often but any fruit juice or milk (even dairy free milk) is great. You may need to add more or less dairy based on your blender.
TOPPINGS Now for the fun part! You can top your Acai Bowl with almost anything. For fun family breakfst, build a DIY Acai Bowl Bar and put out small bowls of all of these incredible toppings!
- Berries: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Melon chunks: cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon
- Nuts: walnuts, pecans, pistachios
- Seeds: chia, hemp, flax, sunflower, pumpkin
- Other: bananas, granola, honey
How to Make Acai Bowl
This recipe is a delicious and nutritious breakfast option that is ready in just a few minutes!
- Prepare a smoothie base in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie base into a bowl (or a large glass) and add desired toppings.
- Sprinkle nuts or seeds on top and drizzle on some honey or blue agave syrup, if desired.
For a creamier version, blend in with some vanilla or plain-flavored yogurt. For a dairy free version, skip the yogurt.
Healthy and Delicious Smoothies
- Berry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Mango Smoothie – deliciously tropical
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Green Smoothie – ready in 5 mins
- Our Favorite Berry Smoothie
Did you love this Acai Bowl? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below and let us know what your favorite toppings are!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen berries
- ¼ cup ice or extra frozen berries
- 3 ½ oz frozen Acai packet
- ½ cup apple juice or milk, or as needed to blend
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt optional
- Break up the acai packet into chunks and put it in the blender.
- Add remaining ingredeints and blend until smooth adding more liquid if needed.
- Pour into a bowl and top with toppings. Serve immediately.
- Sliced banana
- Fresh Berries