Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that’s ready in 20 minutes? This recipe is a must try!
You won’t believe how incredibly tender and juicy air fryer chicken breasts are with minimal prep and just a handful of seasonings
This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights thanks to the magic of an air fryer.
Chicken Breasts in 20 Minutes
- This air fryer chicken breast recipe needs just a couple of minutes of prep.
- It takes only a handful of ingredients. Use the seasonings below, your favorite chicken seasoning, or really any seasoning mix.
- The results are incredibly juicy every single time. Hands down one of our favorite 20-minute meals.
- It’s great to make ahead for meal prep.
Chicken Breasts can range in size from 5oz to 10oz. This recipe is for boneless skinless chicken breasts sized 6-7oz. (We use this recipe for air fryer chicken thighs). Four 6oz chicken breasts will weigh about 1 1/2 lbs.
Seasonings are simple. Olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, and pepper are all that’s needed.
Add other seasonings to the blend in the recipe or swap the seasonings and your favorite spice mixture. Try taco seasoning, lemon pepper or Greek seasoning.
To Brine or Not to Brine?
For lean meats like pork chops, a brine is great, but it’s not necessary for chicken breasts in the air fryer. You can still make them extra juicy as long as you don’t overcook them.
Marinating is also optional, but if you use a chicken marinade, make sure to remove any excess to help the chicken get crispy on the outside while still being juicy on the inside.
How to Air Fry Chicken Breasts
- Rub chicken breasts with a little olive oil and seasoning (per the recipe below).
- Place in the air fryer basket ensuring there is space around each chicken breast.
- Cook for 16-19 minutes flipping after 10 minutes.
Rest a few minutes before cutting.
Serve air fryer chicken breasts on their own or slice them for salads, pasta, or to meal prep.
How Long to Cook Chicken Breasts in an Air Fryer
Note: this is for 6-7 oz chicken breasts. Chicken breasts can range in size from 5oz to 10oz. Adjust cook time as needed.
- Cook chicken breasts for about 10 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook for another 6-9 minutes.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
NOTE: Be sure to check the temperature of the chicken a few minutes early to ensure it doesn’t overcook. Appliances can vary.
Tips for Success
- A few swipes of BBQ sauce will add a great flavor and sticky exterior.
- Check for doneness a few minutes before cooking should be done by inserting a meat thermometer in the thickest part. Chicken should reach 165°F.
- Let the chicken breasts rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- When seasoning chicken breasts, pat the seasoning into it all over, firmly coating the chicken with the seasonings.
- Do not overcook.
Fave Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Add some chicken to the air fryer and whip of a favorite side dish for an easy weeknight meal.
Did you make these Air Fryer Chicken Breasts? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless chicken breasts 6-7 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Seasoning Mix (or use your favorite seasoning blend)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix.
- Dab the chicken dry with paper towels and then rub it with olive oil. Season with the seasoning mix or your own preferred blend.
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer, ensuring that they don't overlap.
- Cook the chicken for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 6-9 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Be sure not to overcook.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the air fryer and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Going to try this recipe tonight
I would love to hear how it turns out Mrs V! Enjoy!
These chicken breasts were so flavourful and moist! Followed the recipe, re:weight of breasts, cooking times, and used my meat thermometer. Definitely a keeper! YUM!
I love using my Air Fryer. The problem I run in to is proportions for a single person. For example this recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts. How would I adjust it for 1 chicken breast?
The cooking time will remain the same. On the “PRINT” page on any recipe you can change the servings size which will change the amounts of the ingredients (but it will not update the amounts in the written directions). I hope that helps.
I can say I spent my morning cooking your recipes and enjoying a great lunch; are 3 hours ahead of you. Your Air Fryer chicken was excellent; I sprinkled Italian Seasoning. I sliced it and served it on your Roasted Spaghetti Squash; spooned on some of my Tomato sauce. I guess by now you can see I am hooked on your site.
I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the recipes Rita!
Delicious flavorings, Holly, on succulent chicken breasts. We really enjoyed this with a side green salad dressed in vinaigrettte. Thank you. Your recipes are reliably satisfying.
I just made chicken in my airfryer following your recipe. Yummy, yummy. This will now be my go to recipe for chicken breasts. Thank you
Hi, I followed your instructions and my chicken breast came out looking beautiful as well as tasting great. Thank you, looking forward to some more great ideas for the air fryer.
Thanks again, Flo.
I always dreaded fixing chicken breasts because they are always so dry & flavorless. That was until I received an air fryer for Christmas & then found this recipe!! I have made these 3-4 times & they are absolutely fantastic!!! This is now one of our favorite “go to” meals!!! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!!!
Yay! That is awesome, Darla. So happy to hear that.
I made this but did pickle brine for about an hr then with 1 breast lemon pepper rubbed in with very little olive oil and the other 2, I rubbed a half cap of liquid smoke
then McCormicks Chipotle roasted garlic added a little non smoked paprika rubbed all this in a little olive oil and they could not have turned out any better. Thank you love your recipes.
Oh my! That sounds absolutely delicious Sharon! Thanks for sharing!!
I followed this recipe but I used Caribbean jerk seasoning instead and OMG this was the best chicken I ever had. Super moist and delicious.
These were the most juicy chicken breasts I have ever made!!! I received an air fryer for Christmas & this recipe by far if my favorite. They were moist, juicy & flavorful.
I love all of your recipes!! You’re site is my #1 choice when I need a recipe!! Thank you!
Thank YOU Darla! I love my air fryer so much!
Crock Pot pork chops with gravy…
The best food i have ever eaten!! The flavor was heavenly…the chops were done to perfection. I could have drank the gravy it was sooo delicious! I will only cook chops like this from now on. Thank you for the recipe.
So glad you loved this recipe Helen!
Cook at what temp???????
We cooked the chicken at 370°F for 16-19 minutes.
I always do as my grandma did 50 years ago?? I use one of my Corning wear bowls with glass cover. Once I have prepared my livers I place them on a paper towel and place the lid back. It will add an additional punch to a already great meal.
I just made this for dinner tonight i didnt make the chicken seasoning but i used salt, pepper, garlic powder. Seasoning salt and paprika. They all turned out so delicious and i will most definitely be making it again. Thank you for the recipe!!
You’re very welcome!
Holly, have you had success with making chicken breasts from frozen in the air fryer? How would you adjust the time & temp?
I have not tried them as of yet but I love that idea! I’ll let you know when I try it.
LOVE!! Great detailed instructions. Just got the Cosori air fryer for Christmas. I thought everything had to be battered or coated, so I was thrilled to find your recipe!
Sounds like you are going to have some funny frying Susan!! Enjoy your air fryer, we love ours!
I made the chicken breasts in my new air fryer. I marinaded 2 chicken breasts in Italian dressing over night then the next night I did baked first then threw in the marinaded chicken and follows all the instructions and it turned out awesome, threw in a vegetable and my husband and I had a great meal. I highly recommend this you’ll love it!!
A simple and easy to make air fryer chicken recipe i have ever tried so far. Thanks for sharing this recipe with all of us.