Your slow cooker, a can of condensed milk, rice krispies and white chocolate is all you need to make these irresistible Rice Krispie Bars. 5 minutes of active effort – the hardest part is patience while these set in the fridge!
Woah! I know this recipe title is a mouthful but I really couldn’t bring myself to skip any part of it. It’s 3 ingredients – just condensed milk, rice krispies and white chocolate. The Dulce de Leche is made in the slow cooker. And…err. Well. These are Rice Krispie Bars. So I couldn’t very well leave that out of the title!
I guess some people would call this slow cooker method of making Dulce de Leche a “hack”. I don’t. I think it’s ingenious. Have you tried it before? If not, you’re going to be AMAZED! This is how it goes (it’s really, really hard….not!):
1. Place unopened can of condensed milk in the slow cooker, cover with water. Cook on low for 8 hours.
2. Let it cool for a few hours (opening it while hot is dangerous, so PLEASE be careful!) until it can be handled with bare hands. Open the can and you’ll be greeted with this sight…
(Note: If you do not wish to cook the caramel in the slow cooker you can certainly use this method here and cook it in the oven).
Isn’t it incredible? I was so cynical the first time I tried it and was blown away! The caramel is silky and thick, but spreadable. It’s thick enough to hold its form to sandwich between biscuits or use as a pie filling (OMG, you must! Or should I? Maybe I should do that as my next recipe? :-) ).
And it’s brilliantly used to make little treats like these rice krispy bars!
I also use white chocolate because I find that dulce de leche on its own is a bit too loose to use to bind the rice krispies. And when you add melted chocolate to Dulce De Leche, it kind of transforms it into fudge. Depending on the amount of white chocolate you use. I don’t use much because I want the Dulce De Leche to be the main flavor in these bars, and also I want them to have a softish consistency. If you use equal amounts of Dulce de Leche and white chocolate, it becomes a fudge consistency. :-)
The festive season has sprung upon us. Don’t you find life just gets insanely busy?? And for those times, having quick yet made-from-scratch treats like these Dulce De Leche Rice Krispie Bars up your sleeve are a life saver!
3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Dulce de Leche Rice Krispie Bars
- 14 ounces can Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk See Note 1
- ½ cup white chocolate chips plus more for drizzling (optional)
- 3 cups rice krispies
- Place condensed milk in slow cooker on its side. You can leave the label on. Fill with water so it is 2 inches above the can. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Allow to cool until you can remove the can with your bare hands (3+ hours). NEVER open the can while piping hot - it may blast hot caramel out!
- Spray a 8 - 10" square pan with oil. Press in a sheet of parchment paper.
- Open can and transfer to heatproof bowl. Add chocolate chips, Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted. Mix well to combine.
- Then add rice krispies and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Drizzle with white chocolate if desired. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut into bars.
2. The can must be completely covered in water at all times. You may need to add additional water if it evaporates.