10 Great Uses for Corn Starch!
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, recipes and ideas!
10 Great Uses for Cornstarch
Cornstarch is great for cooking and for science experiments with the kids but it also has a wide variety of uses that you have probably never considered. Here are 10 great new uses for an item you probably already have in your cupboard.
- Prevent Athlete’s Foot. Sprinkle it in your shoes before exercise and it will reduce moisture.
- Soothe sunburn pain. Mix a paste of cornstarch and water and rub it on the affected area.
- You can use it as a dry shampoo. Sprinkle it in and it will absorb oil and grease… then brush it out.
- The same paste of water and cornstarch that soothes sunburns can be used to clean your silver.
- Mix it with dish soap and water (1 tsp. soap, 1 tsp. cornstarch, 1 gallon of water) for an inexpensive window cleaner.
- Sprinkling corn starch on carpet can eliminate odors and help to freshen them up. Sprinkle, let sit for 30 minutes, and vacuum. Ta da!
- Make homemade spray starch for ironing. Mix cornstarch (1 tablespoon) and water (1 quart) in a spray bottle.
- Soothe diaper rash by sprinkling a little on your baby’s bottom.
- Get squeaks out of floors. Sprinkle some in the noisy area and let settle. The noise should die down.
- Put some in your stinky shoes as a deodorizer. Let it sit overnight and it will absorb smells from your sweaty feet.
Often we get frustrated or flustered when we don’t have just the “right” product but the truth is that there are so many all-purpose items just hiding out in our kitchens. Cornstarch is definitely among them! Next time you are in a bind and need to clean your carpet, soothe a sunburn or wash your hair, check your pantry and save time, money and your sanity.
Sources: http://www.diylife.com/2011/01/21/cornstarch-unusual-uses/ http://gomestic.com/do-it-yourself/ten-uses-for-cornstarch/