Your gloriously planned summery day trip to the beach or amusement park is a bust. The kids have grown antsy and have begun yanking on one another’s hair or wrecking their rooms looking for some kind of fun. What to do?
Why not make ice cream?
It so simple, so satisfying, and you can quickly and easily make individual servings. You probably have everything you’ll need in your kitchen right now. You can even swap ingredients for your pickiest little eaters!
Here are some great flavor additions before you shake it up:
- Strawberry: add a few chopped strawberries to the mix before agitating it
- Chocolate: add chocolate syrup or cocoa powder
- Honey ice cream? Yes please!
- Espresso: add a cooled-off shot of espresso for mommy?
- Flavors: Vanilla, strawberry, and almond extract also make great additions.
- Feeling adventurous? Try cookies, candies, fruits, herbs, mint, sugar substitutes… Let your and your kids’ imaginations run wild!
My daughter had an absolute blast making this!
Summer fun! Homemade Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Maker required)
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- ice cubes
- 1/4-1/2 cup of salt
- 1.5 cups of your favorite milk , reduced fat milk, or heavy cream
- two tablespoons of sugar
- additions (see above)
Fill the large ziploc halfway with ice cubes and add 1/4-1/2 cup of salt. You can use rock salt (works best) or table salt (still works well).
In the small bag, put 1.5 cups of your favorite milk, reduced fat milk, or heavy cream. Add two tablespoons of sugar for every 1.5 cups of milk (or to taste).
Seal the smaller bag then place it in the big bag and SHAKE IT. This is where the kids can help! They can (gently) shake, rock, spin, toss, and play with the bag. It takes about 5-7 minutes of good shaking to get to the right consistency.
Congrats! You have made your first ice cream! Serve it up right out of the bag if you want to (just rinse the salt off the outside beforehand).
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)