This Honey Mustard Warm Potato Salad is a terrific alternative to the usual heavy potato salad made with mayonnaise! This is perfect for holiday feasting or a side for any meal.
Creamy potato salad was the exception rather than the rule when I was growing up. Mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese – all things rich and creamy were basically considered “treats” and only made an appearance for specific occasions when a particular recipe called for them. They never made the weekly shopping basket.
And as a consequence of that, even as an adult, I find myself bypassing the mayonnaise and even sour cream in the aisles at the supermarket. Which means when it comes to making things that most people usually associate with creamy dressings – like potato salad – I usually default to alternative dressings.
Forced to be more creative. It’s healthier. And it’s so, so tasty, some friends have sworn off traditional mayo potato salad for life.
I exaggerate not. :-)
The combination of warm potatoes with crispy buttery skin tossed through with creamy Honey Mustard Dressing is a stellar combination in this tasty Honey Mustard Warm Potato Salad. One of the reasons why this is so good is because the when you toss warm potatoes in dressing, it sucks up all that flavour rather than just coating it on the outside like normal potato salad. That’s a great trick for preparing potatoes, actually!
I like my potatoes to be buttery – for flavour – but you need to use a combination of oil and butter, otherwise the butter burns. That’s a little roasting tip for you!! You can apply it to anything you roast – use about 1:1 equal rations of butter to oil, and you’ll get a nice golden crust on the vegetables or protein you’re roasting without the bitter burnt butter. :-) I learned the hard way!!
I like to add a bit of red onion or finely sliced green onion into this, just for a bit of freshness. And some kind of herb adds a great extra layer – I’ve opted for thyme here, but feel free to change it out with your favourite herb. Rosemary, chives, parsley, even finely sliced sage and basil goes great with this!
Honey Mustard Warm Potato Salad
- 2 pounds baby potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or add 1/2 tsp dried thyme into Dressing
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place potatoes in a bowl. Add butter, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Spread potatoes out on a tray. Roast for 40 minutes until golden on the outside and soft inside, flipping once halfway.
- Meanwhile, place Dressing ingredients in a jar. Shake very well to combine.
- When potatoes are cooked, transfer to a bowl. Add onion and fresh thyme, pour Dressing over potatoes, and toss. Serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!