We love this delicious cheesy stove top casserole! The great part is that it’s quick to make and I don’t have to use the oven!
I love making casseroles and especially the ones where there is no cream of mushroom or condensed soups required! Depending on the brand of hashbrowns, your potatoes may soak in more of the milk mixture. If this happens, just add a little extra milk to get the desired creamy consistency!I usually use a sharp cheddar for this recipe but really, any type of cheese would work!
This makes a great side dish for dinner or breakfast!
Stove Top Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar divided
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add hash browns, onion and garlic. Stir occasionally until onion is soft and hash browns are defrosted and slightly browned.
- Add in flour, dry mustard, parsley, salt & pepper. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Pour in milk and stir until thickened. Add sour cream and stir just until hot (do not boil or the sour cream may curdle). Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese just until melted.
- Top with remaining cheese. To melt cheese either cover with a lid for 3-4 minutes or broil for 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!