Turning regular white rice from your pantry into this delicious rice side dish is easy! You’ll need just a few ingredients you probably already have in the kitchen!
We often make rice recipes to accompany our meals and most of the time they’re quick to make from scratch! Homemade Mexican Rice is so much more flavorful boxed versions and you can add or remove seasonings and spices to suit your tastes.
What is Mexican Rice?
All you need is some regular white rice, Mexican-style seasonings along with a bit of tomato sauce. It’s all cooked together creating a flavorful side dish! It doesn’t take much extra work than making just plain white rice.
You can serve Mexican rice with anything and everything- especially during taco night! I love adding homemade taco seasoning or turning it into Mexican rice and beans with a can of black beans or pinto beans!
What to Serve with Mexican Rice
- Shrimp Tacos – Quick weeknight meal.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas – So creamy and flavorful!
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – Personal favorite recipe!
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers – Great way to use any leftover Mexican rice.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos – Easy and delicious!
How to Make Mexican Rice
A Mexican rice recipe calls for just a few basic ingredients. Chicken stock is the base for this rice dish and adds lots of flavor and of course tomato sauce adds the color we’re used to seeing in a Mexican rice dish!
To make this Mexican Rice Recipe:
- Brown the Rice: Saute the onions, butter and rice about 5 minutes in a pot until the rice becomes golden in color.
- Add Seasonings: Add the seasonings, chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Cook: Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked. Once done, let sit covered about 5 minutes.
It’s that easy! I add in a minced and seeded jalapeno for flavor and of course a big squeeze of lime before serving.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced, optional
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- lime & cilantro for garnish optional
- Cook onions, butter, rice and jalapeno if using over medium heat until onions are tender and rice is golden, about 5 minutes. Add spices and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit 5-10 minutes covered.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.