Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Resting Time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 arepas
Arepas are a delicious pan-fried corn cake that is a cross between a tortilla and an English muffin.
- 2 cups Masarepa * (pre cooked corn meal)
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, combine the Masarapa, water, and salt until fully combined. Pack the mixture together and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a large castiron skillet with vegetable oil.
Measure out 1/4 cup-sized portions and roll into a ball with your hands, then gently press and shape them into discs that are about 1/2 inch thick.
Place the discs in the hot oil and allow them to cook over low heat until they begin to turn golden brown/black. Flip and repeat, adding additional oil as needed so they don't stick.
If you want to slice them in half, you'll want to bake them for about 10 minutes at 350F on a large baking sheet. Enjoy hot.
*If you use white corn meal, we found that you only need about 2 cups of warm water
- If you find that the mixture is a little dry, you can add additional water 1 Tablespoon at a time. You want the consistency to be slightly dry but combined.
- You can add up to 1 cup of shredded cheese for additional flavor.
- Arepas may also be deep fried.
Calories: 142, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Sodium: 294mg, Potassium: 85mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Calcium: 3mg, Iron: 1mg