Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Sweet Potato Soup is a savory, creamy, and easy soup recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 inch ginger root peeled
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 slices bacon cooked & crumbled, optional garnish
- 1 handful croutons optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped, optional garnish
Cook onion, garlic and celery in butter until tender.
Add sweet potatoes, apple, curry powder, ginger and salt & pepper to taste.
Stir in chicken broth, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
Remove ginger and puree soup in a blender or with a hand blender.
Add heavy cream and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Top with crumbled bacon, croutons and chives.
- Curry powder can be replaced with a cinnamon stick. Remove cinnamon stick before pureeing.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- To make this dairy free, replace heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.
Calories: 395, Carbohydrates: 45.93g, Protein: 6.22g, Fat: 21.75g, Saturated Fat: 12.04g, Cholesterol: 63.07mg, Sodium: 896.6mg, Potassium: 898.2mg, Fiber: 7.06g, Sugar: 13.16g, Vitamin A: 24914.54IU, Vitamin C: 21.49mg, Calcium: 100.51mg, Iron: 1.64mg
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here