Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
This easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole is quick to prep in the evening and then baked up fresh and delicious in the morning! Cheese, bacon, bell peppers and green onions are layered with bread and soaked in a seasoned egg mixture. This is the perfect meal to serve on a holiday morning or for guests.
How to Make Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I have eaten this casserole on Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. My mom always made it when I was young and I looked forward to this casserole every year!
We have always called it wife saver but it’s also known as a strata which is basically bread and eggs with yummy add ins.
It’s great because it’s really easy to make and it’s made the night before (or at least 3-4 hours ahead of time). In the morning just put it in the oven to cook while your family is doing other fun activities (like opening stockings or egg hunting!) or even if you have a house full of guests to feed!
I find a lot of breakfast items are on the sweeter side like pancakes and waffles but I’m a savory girl so this is my favorite. Since we have a large family, I usually make this and a sweeter Overnight Apple Pie French Toast for my kids (or sometimes Blueberry Cream Cheese).
I think every family seems to have a slightly different version of this meal. My mother in law adds a crunchy topping to hers (and uses brown bread) while my sister cuts off the crusts and leaves her slices whole. I always leave the crusts and cube my bread since I really can’t tell the difference and let’s face it, less work is better.
You can certainly add in whatever you like, ham or sausage are great in this as well! We’ve added everything from ham and asparagus to artichokes and mushrooms (pre-cook the mushrooms so they don’t get watery). Of all the versions I’ve had, this one is definitely my favorite.
It’s so easy to put together and a great way to feed breakfast to a crowd so I often make it when we have guests over! If you’re the kind of person that likes to eat breakfast for dinner, this is a super simple prep ahead meal and if you are lucky enough to have any leftovers, this is great reheated too!
Note: It’s best to take the casserole out of the fridge first thing and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. If you are cooking two pans, baking time will increase by about 20-30 minutes.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Delicious Overnight Breakfast Casserole with bacon, green onions, bell peppers, and cheese.
- 12 slices egg bread (or any type of bread will work), cubed
- 12 slices crispy bacon , crumbled (or 1 cup diced ham)
- 3 green onions , sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , finely diced
- 4 cups grated cheese , cheddar works well
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each dry mustard , salt & black pepper
- Cube bread and leave out overnight or place in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes to dry slightly. (Do not brown or toast it).
- Combine eggs, milk, & seasonings.
- Layer 1/2 of the cubes in a greased 9×13 pan. Top with 1/2 of the bacon, green onions, red peppers and cheese. Repeat layers one more time.
- Pour egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 3 hours).
- Remove from fridge and let sit on the counter while preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered with foil 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you are baking 2 pans increase cooking time to 60-80 minutes).
Here are some other recipes you’ll love:
Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Sausage