Ok, how did I not think of this before? It was easy and awesome! Who knew that Tater Tots made such a delicious crispy crust for chicken strips? This was way easier than using bread crumbs and way less messy!
I did chicken strips, but this would definitely work on whole chicken breasts as well (just cook them a little longer at a bit of a lower temperature!)
Serve this up with ketchup or sour cream (and I threw some bacon bits in my sour cream… because.. why not!)
Cheddar Tater Tot Crusted Chicken
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 70 Tater Tots (1 bag)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Defrost Tater Tots (I popped mine in the microwave for a few seconds) and gently break apart. You don't want to mush them, they will easily break apart. Add shredded cheddar and mix. Place in a shallow dish.
- Cut each chicken breast into 4-5 strips. Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Dip chicken in flour, then eggs and then in flour again. Coat each chicken strip with Tater Tot mixture gently pressing if needed.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 15-18 minutes or until chicken is cooked and crust is browned.
- Serve with sour cream or ketchup.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)