Taco stuffed pasta shells are a great twist on classic stuffed shells! Jumbo pasta shells are filled with a creamy seasoned beef & vegetable mixture and topped with cheese.
What Pasta To Use
Jumbo shells are sold with the pasta and are available in most supermarkets (or online at Amazon). They often come in a box (to keep them from breaking) next to the lasagna. They are called conchiglie, because they resemble conch shells.
If you can’t find them, try substituting for the smaller shells and creating a casserole (layered like I do with my baked ziti), rather than stuffed shells.
How To Make Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
To make these stuffed pasta shells:
- Cook the pasta shells to al dente (they’ll cook a bit more in the oven).
- Brown the ground beef and onions and drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, taco seasoning, water, and veggies (per the recipe below). Cook until all of the water is evaporated.
- Fill each pasta shell with a few tablespoons of the beef mixture. Add them to a casserole dish.
- Top with salsa. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Then, add cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
You bet, these are even freezable! You can prepare these up until step 5, and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours or freeze them (more on that below).
To Make This a Freezer Meal
This meal can be made ahead of time and frozen. Prepare as directed but don’t add the cheese on top and don’t bake it. Ensure the filling is cooled and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then wrap in foil.
To Cook: Remove it from the freezer the night before and refrigerate overnight. By dinner time the next day it’s ready to top with cheese and bake.
Storing and Reheating The Leftovers
Have leftovers? No worries! They will last about 3 days in the fridge, covered.
These reheat pretty well. To reheat this stuffed taco casserole, microwave for a couple minutes, or reheat in the oven at 350°F for about 10-12 minutes.
More Tasty Taco Takes
Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 oz can of (low sodium) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped veggies (red, yellow or green peppers, corn, zucchini… whatever you have on hand)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 Cups Salsa
- 2 Cups grated cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook pasta shells al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Brown ground beef and onion in a large pan until no pink remains.
Add in undrained tomatoes, taco seasoning, 3/4 cup of water and veggies. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
Fill each pasta shell with about 2-3 tablespoons of the beef mixture. Place into a casserole dish.
Top with salsa. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)