2016 Summer Reading List
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Thank you to Audible for partnering with my to bring you this post. As always, all opinions and text are my own.
©Cook Crave Inspire by SpendWithPennies.com
2016 Summer Reading List
Pin it to your SUMMER FUN BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I know a lot of you love ebooks but if you’re like me, finding time to read is REALLY difficult. I love a good story, I mean I really really love it. I love escaping into another world for a little while (and yes, I both laugh and cry at books sometimes). Escaping into a story is a great way to relax and enjoy an afternoon or to wind down for the evening for kids and adults alike!
Guess what?! I’m super excited to share something new I’m doing this summer! I am going to be listening to some of my favorite books on Audible (there are over 250,000 audio programs including books, entertainers and more to choose from)! Even better, Audible has a 30 Day FREE trial right now… meaning you can start your summer off with great story!
Not only is this great for me, I think that putting on a family story during a long road trip this summer is a great way to enjoy the ride! Everyone gets to enjoy the same story with the family passing the time and making the road trip that much more fun! Books are such a great way to come together as a family! (I’ve created a family reading list below!)
The great thing about the audio books is that you can listen no matter what you’re doing! Who wouldn’t love to sit around in the afternoon and read a book while sipping on a glass of iced tea on the deck?! Unfortunately that’s not realistic for me. What I can do though, is listen to an audio book while I’m cooking dinner, while I’m driving to the grocery store or while my daughter is at soccer practice. That means I still get to immerse myself in more great stories while carrying on with my normal activities!
I literally just signed up for my 30 day free trial of Audible. It’s quick and easy (I was able to sign in with my Amazon login). Audible has thousands of choices including new releases! I have really been wanting to see the new moving coming out, Me Before You, so I was really excited to see I could listen to the audio book on my free trial! It was literally as simple as adding it to my cart and checking out. I was also able to easily add the Audible app to my phone so I have my “book” with me wherever I go!
Below is a list of really great summer reads for all ages. Some of my favorites and some suggested by my closest friends.
Family Summer Listening List
- Peter Pan: This iconic story about a boy who wouldn’t grow up is a classic! The perfect family story for young and old alike!
- Mr. Lemoncello Series (2 books)
- The Princess Bride… if you loved the movie, the story is even better!! As you wish!
- Olympus (series)
- Book Scavenger: This is a fun read including a game where books are hidden all over the country and clues to find them are revealed through puzzles.
- Series of Unfortunate Events: If you haven’t seen the movie (or even if you have) you need to hear the STORY!! This series follows the events of the lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire after their parents’ death in a fire.
- Inkheart (series)
- Harry Potter: Everyone loves diving into the creative stories of Harry Potter written by J.K. Rowling. It’s easy to see why this is a top seller over at Audible!
- Charlotte’s Web
- The Giver This story is on my list this summer. Young 12 year old Jonas is given a huge responsibility of being the receiver in his community giving him knowledge (and feelings) that others in his community don’t have. He comes up with a plan to change his community.
- Number The Stars This is a great book about the escape of a Jewish family from Copenhagen during World War II and a great book to discuss with your kids!
- Wind in the Willows
- The Hobbit
A few of my own personal favorite books (not for kids)
Mom’s Reading List (My Personal Favorites)
- Night Road by Kristin Hannah I’ve read several books by Kristin Hannah that I’ve loved including Fly Away Home, Night Garden, Firefly Lane and Home Front. This was a favorite and I think one of the first books to really make me cry!
- 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I thought the use of the different perspectives was absolutely brilliant. Jodi Picoult has tons of amazing books here.
- Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn. I loved this story and I loved the movie! I’d recommend this to anyone!
- The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. A good light summer romance. Find more Nicholas Sparks books here.
- Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
- I’ve also read every single V.C. Andrews book since I was 14. While she has passed on, her family has selected excellent writers with a similar style to keep the great family twists and tragedies coming.
I really hope you find something amazing and fun to immerse yourself in this summer… be it a romantic Nicholas Sparks book on the beach or the classic Peter Pan story with the family on a road trip. Losing myself in a story is one of my greatest pleasures and I am so excited that I’ll be able to do more of what I love with Audible.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Audible. The opinions and text are all mine.