The key to stain removal is targeting the stain right away.. and using the right product for the type of stain you have! Be sure to always test your fabrics first. If using OxiClean (my favorite) always use the hottest water possible! I use OxiClean and boiling water on tough stains!
Stain Removal Guide:
Dairy/Oil/Fat: Includes gravy, salad dressing, oil, cream
- Use aerosol types work better on greasy stains. Let sit one minute. Rub with laundry soap
- Launder in Oxiclean and the hottest water your fabric can handle
- Pretreat with prewash stain remover, liquid laundry detergent, paste of powder detergent or laundry additive and water. Or, rub with bar soap.
Grass Stain Removal:
- Pretreat with a stain remover containing enzymes
- Rub stain with a bar soap
- If stain has changed the color of the fabric, soak in white vinegar. Rinse.
- Launder using hottest water safe for fabric. (Add OxiClean if stain persists)
Fruit stains: Wine, Raspberries, strawberries etc.
- Mix 1quart warm water, 1/2 tsp liquid dish soap, and 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Soak for 15 minutes. Rinse.
- Sponge with rubbing alcohol, using light motions from center to edge of stain.
- Soak for 30 minutes in one quart warm water with one tablespoon enzyme presoak products.
- If color stain remains, launder in chlorine bleach if safe for the fabric, or in oxygen bleach.
- Allow wax to harden or rub with ice and scrape off excess with a dull knife.
- Place folded paper towels over and under stained area and press with a warm dry iron until wax is removed.
Remember: Begin stain removal as soon as possible! The longer you wait, the less chance of complete stain removal!
We are always looking for great tips to share with our readers on any subject! If you have a great tip be sure to submit it here and you could be featured on our blog! We feature tips on beauty, family, DIY, cooking, shopping and more so be sure to head over and check out our previous Tips of the Day!
Sources of information: experience :), web.extension.illinois.edu; http://www.chemistry.co.nz
Image License & Copyright: serezniy / 123RF Stock Photo