Sausage Balls are easy, cheesy and oh so delicious! With only 3 ingredients (sausage, biscuit mix and cheese), they’re a great addition to any party menu!
Like Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies, these can be made ahead of time, require very little prep and are always one of the first things to go!
Ingredients for Sausage Balls
You need just 3 ingredients:
Sausage I use regular sausage but you can use any kind in this recipe. A hot spicy Italian sausage is great too!
Cheese Sharp cheddar (like I use in pimento cheese) adds the best flavor. Shred your own cheese from a block instead of buying pre-shredded.
Biscuit Mix Biscuit mix is a mixture used to make homemade biscuits. If you don’t have biscuit mix, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup shortening. Pulse mixture in a food processor until shortening is incorporated.
Bisquick sausage balls will definitely hit the mark! They’re crisp on the outside and tender on the inside with a cheesy goodness throughout.
How to Make Sausage Balls
Having only 3 ingredients, these sausage balls insanely easy to prepare!
- Combine biscuit mix, sausage and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix thoroughly (it can take a while for the mixture to seem moist and uniform).
- Roll into balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake and enjoy!
To Make Ahead of Time
Sausage balls can be prepared ahead of time. Simply mix and roll into balls, cover and refrigerate. Proceed with the baking as directed.
How Long To Cook Sausage Balls
- Fresh If you are baking the sausage balls when they are freshly made, they will take about 20 minutes in a 350˚F oven.
- Frozen When baking from frozen, add an additional 8-10 minutes to the cook time (30 minutes total).
If you are unsure, use a meat thermometer and bake until the internal temperature reads 165˚
- Use any kind of sausage, spicy Italian sausage will add a nice kick
- Use a scoop to make preparation easy
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese, shred your own for best results
- If your mixture seems dry, add a bit of milk to moisten
- add diced jalapenos to the mixture
- add cream cheese (4 oz) to the mixture
- add a packet of ranch dressing mix
- add a packet of taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
My absolute favorite dip for these Sausage Balls is found in the recipe below. The grainy dijon mustard provides just the right amount of zing to complement these tasty little appetizer balls! You can use any sauce you love!
Can you Freeze Sausage Balls?
Yes, these sausage cheese balls can definitely be frozen. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag. They will stay fresh in your freezer for up to 6 months – if your family doesn’t sneak them up before then!
More Make Ahead Appetizer Recipes
- 5 Minute Taco Dip – Easy!
- Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball
- Bacon Cheddar Dip
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Crisps
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard or regular dijon
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all dip ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- Combine biscuit mix, cheese and ground sausage in a bowl. Mix thoroughly until mixture is moist and holds together.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, form into balls.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)