Savor fall flavors and make this pumpkin soup recipe.
Made with either homemade or canned pumpkin puree, it’s a perfect blend of sweet and savory. Onion is combined with the sweetness of carrots, warm spices, and a creamy pumpkin base.
Garnish with crisp bacon and croutons for the perfect meal!
Fall Favorite Pumpkin Soup
- Filled with cozy fall vibes, this pumpkin soup recipe is ideal as a starter for holiday feasts or a main with bread for dipping.
- It’s a make-ahead marvel, with flavors that only get better over time.
- Packed with the goodness of antioxidants and fiber from pumpkin.
- Kid-friendly and adult-approved for all taste buds.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin – A can of pumpkin is the savory base for this recipe, but you can use blended roasted fresh pumpkin.
- Vegetables – Carrots add a touch of sweetness, while diced potatoes help thicken the soup. Other squash varieties can be added, like butternut or acorn squash.
- Soup Base – Heavy cream, broth, and butter make the base for this pumpkin soup. Swap in a coconut milk as a dairy alternative.
- Spices & Seasonings – Bay leaf, thyme, nutmeg, and salt and pepper round out the flavor profile. Add a teaspoon of DIY pumpkin spice if you’d like.
- Bacon – The salty complement to a sweet and savory soup. Diced ham or sliced smoked sausage are also excellent options.
Toppings – Lots of colorful, crunchy, and tasty toppings make each serving of pumpkin soup a work of edible art! Homemade garlic & herb croutons, sliced green onions, or a few sliced jalapenos make pumpkin soup new every time!
How to Make Pumpkin Soup
- Fry bacon and set aside. Cook onions in bacon fat.
- Add broth & seasonings and simmer to blend flavors.
- Stir in pumpkin and cream and simmer (as per the recipe below).
- Puree soup until smooth with a hand blender.
- Garnish with a swirl of cream or sour cream and any variety of toppings listed above.
Keep leftover pumpkin soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 8 weeks. Reheat on the stove to medium heat.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love
Did your family love this Pumpkin Soup recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Easy Pumpkin Soup
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- ½ cup carrot shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped and divided
- ½ cup croutons optional garnish
- In a soup pot over medium high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel line plate, leaving the 2 tablespoons of fat in the skillet. If the bacon grease is less than 2 tablespoons, add butter to make up the difference.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the carrot and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken broth, brown sugar, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and cream and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and using an immersion blender or hand blender, puree until smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley and pour into soup bowls. Garnish with cream, croutons, crumbled bacon, and remaining parsley.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.