Fall is the perfect time of year for Pumpkin Pancakes! I can’t think of a better way to wake up on a cool fall morning than warm and perfectly spiced pumpkin pancakes and a mug of coffee!
Traditional pancake ingredients combined with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and a touch of brown sugar combine to create the best pumpkin pancakes ever! Your family will love these and ask for them all year long!
How to Make Pumpkin Pancakes
While you can add pumpkin to Pancake Mix, it’s easy to make pumpkin pie pancakes from scratch. Using traditional pancake ingredients, and adding in pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and adds a delicious fall flavor to this recipe reminiscent of my fave pumpkin pie recipe!
It is very important to know that the batter for these pancakes is very thick (even thicker than banana pancakes) so once you put it in the pan, you’ll need to spread it using a spatula to shape your pancakes.
How to Make Pumpkin Pancakes from Scratch
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour onto a hot greased skillet and gently spread the batter for each pancake with the back of a spatula.
- Flip each pancake when the bubbles have popped and they’re golden brown and continue to cook until done.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
Some great ideas to top these easy pumpkin pancakes include real maple syrup, walnuts or pecans, whipped cream and butter! Real butter of course!
You likely have everything you need on hand to make these pumpkin pancakes. They have a light pumpkin flavor with deliciously warm spices.
- Pumpkin Puree gives these pancakes a delicious pumpkin flavor! You can use simple canned puree, or you can make your own at home!
- The addition of my homemade pumpkin pie spice! It is very easy to make and really does jazz up all your pumpkin recipes so make sure you try it.
- A touch of brown sugar! Traditional pancakes call for white sugar, but the addition of brown sugar gives these pancakes a deliciously rich flavor!
- A key ingredient in this recipe is buttermilk. The buttermilk is slightly acidic which when combined with the baking powder, helps these buttermilk pumpkin pancakes stay light and fluffy!
These easy spiced Pumpkin Pancakes really are the perfect breakfast treat for the fall season but I would make them during Thanksgiving or Christmas as well.
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Pancake Mix – Make ahead!!
- Easy Banana Pancakes
- Easy Quiche Recipe – Great for brunch!
- Mexican Slow Cooker Breakfast
- Avocado Toast
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine buttermilk, pumpkin puree, oil, eggs and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients. Mix just until combined. Allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Grease with butter or oil. Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake and gently spread with the back of a spatula.
- Cook until lightly browned and the bubbles on top begin to pop. Flip and continue to cook until done. About 4 minutes per side.