Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are loved by kids and adults alike!
Cake batter is poured into ice cream cones and baked for an easy (and cute!) portable dessert. Top them with frosting, whipped cream, or even ice cream.
Perfect for birthday parties, let your little guests decorate with their own ‘frosting’ and toppings!
These make a cute and easy treat!
Ice Cream Cones – Choose flat-bottomed ice cream cones. Mini cones work too.
Cake Batter – A box of cake mix (any flavor) makes these easy but a favorite homemade cake recipe will work perfectly too. A 9×13 size mix works well here (we love yellow cake mix in these).
Decorations – Add in some fun sprinkles and top with a red candy or maraschino cherry.
Simply fill the cones 2/3 full with prepared mix. (A 9×13 size mix works well here).
Chocolate Cake, yellow cake, white cake… the sky’s the limit!
How To Make Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Place flat-bottomed ice cream cones upright in the wells of a cupcake pan or muffin pan.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Fill each cone 2/3 of the way with cake batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (per the recipe below).
Allow the ice cream cone cupcakes to cool completely on wire racks. Once cooled, fill a piping bag with your favorite topping or frosting and top each cupcake.
Tips for Making Cupcakes in Ice Cream Cones
Cake batter that would fill a 9×13 pan should fill 22-24 cupcake cones.
Keep the cones from falling over (especially while decorating) by placing them in a muffin pan. Mini muffin tins are the right size and hold the cones in place.
If your cones seem tippy, make small wreaths of aluminum foil inside the muffins tins to keep the cones from tipping over while decorating or displaying.
Avoid leaks: Cones that have pieces missing on the top ridge tend to leak down the sides a little bit so I buy a few extra cones so I can choose the best of the bunch.
If using frosting, whip it gently with a whisk to incorporate air and make the frosting look more like ice cream!
Frostings to Try
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix (plus ingredients required to prepare)
- 22 ice cream cones
- 1 tub whipped cream or frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place ice cream cones into the wells of a mini cupcake tray.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Fill cones ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and top with whipped cream or frosting and sprinkles.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.