How to Cook Rice – Learning how to cook a perfectly fluffy bowl of rice is not difficult! Rice is my 14 year old daughter’s favorite food and we serve it often alongside our dinners (and make extra for rice pudding or fried rice)!
How to Cook Perfect Rice
Perfecting rice on the stove top is easy! I love rice as a side dish, with a stir fry or even as a dessert in our favorite rice pudding recipe! While rice seems as though it should be really easy to make, it can sometimes come out sticky or gooey if not cooked right (or hard if undercooked).
Once you know the right ratios and times plus a few little tips (like no peeking while it’s cooking) you’ll get the perfect bowl of rice every time!
Rice to Water Ratio
The correct rice to water ratio is 1:2. You will need 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water (or any relative portion).
How Many Cups of Rice in a Pound? There are 2 cups of rice in a pound and each cup of dry rice will yield 3 cups of cooked rice (one pound of dry rice will yield 6 cups of cooked rice).
How to Cook Rice
Rice is generally pretty easy to cook but it can sometimes end up sticky which (unless you’re making sushi) you don’t want! It’s important to make sure you cook for the right amount of time so it’s not under or over cooked!
Here are some tips to make sure you get perfectly fluffy rice every time!
- Rinse: Give your rice a quick rinse to remove extra starches, this will help keep it from becoming sticky.
- Ratio: Use a ratio of 1 cup white rice to 2 cups water.
- Do Not Stir: When you first add the rice, give it one or two quick stirs and then avoid stirring it. Stirring rice can release starches and make it sticky.
- No Peeking: Once your rice is added to boiling water, turn the temperature down to a low simmer and don’t lift the lid.
- Allow to Rest: Once the time is done, remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes (no peeking). Once it has rested 5 minutes, fluff with a fork before serving.
Got Leftover Rice?
Leftover cooked rice should be cooled as soon as possible and can be refrigerated for up to three days.
Can You Freeze Cooked Rice? Yes, leftover rice can be frozen up to six months making for quick and easy sides in just a few minutes. It’s perfect for adding to soups and stews, casseroles or even to heat up as a side dish!
How to Reheat Rice
Rice can easily be reheated on the stove top or in the microwave. Add two tablespoons of water or broth for each cup of rice and cover. Head about 5 minutes on the stove or 1-2 minutes in a microwave oven. You may need a bit of extra time for frozen rice.
Recipes to Serve Over Rice
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Stir Fry Veggies – Easy!
- Chicken Curry – Family Favorite!
- Hawaiian Chicken
- 15 Bean Slow Cooker Chili – Perfect for game day!
- Easy Swiss Steak – Comfort food!
How to Cook Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- Place water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Rinse rice under cold water (optional).
- Add a pinch of salt and rice to boiling water. Cover and reduce heat to a low.
- Cook 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for an additional 5 minutes (no peeking).
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!