These Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes make an amazing side dish or light dinner or lunch! These are the perfect way to enjoy leftover potatoes and the flavor combinations are endless!
If you’re anything like me, I always seem to make extra mashed potatoes ‘just in case’. I’m not sure why because I’ve never run out but somehow I always end up with leftovers.
Of course they’re good to just reheat or to use in Loaded Mashed Potato Egg Rolls but my absolute favorite way to enjoy them is this recipe. Mashed potato pancakes make leftover mashed potatoes (with a few easy additions), into a new family favorite!
You can just add a little cheese and seasonings to make a side but if you want to turn this into a light meal or hearty lunch, add in some leftover chicken or turkey (or even stuffing)!
Mashed potatoes are easy to make (and even easier to make in the crock pot) so I often will boil up some potatoes just so we have enough mashed potatoes to make these mashed potato cakes!
You can really get creative with the seasonings and add ins in this easy recipe! Pretty much anything in your fridge is game… add some spices & herbs, a little bit of meat/protein and whatever veggies you have on hand!
A few of our favorite combos include:
- ham, cheddar, red bell pepper, squeeze of dijon
- leftover taco meat, corn, cheese
- pepperoni, oregano, green pepper, mozzarella
- leftover chicken/turkey, poultry seasoning, leftover stuffing
- sundried tomatoes, oregano & basil, fresh mozzarella
- anything in your fridge :)
They can be topped with sour cream, extra bacon bits, sautéed veggies, ketchup, sausage and eggs, basically anything you might have handy!
Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar
- ½ cup flour
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped (or ¼ cup green onion)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bacon bits into a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of bacon grease from the frying pan and cook the garlic, and white onion if using, over medium heat until translucent. (If using green onion, no need to precook).
- Add to the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it’ll be sticky).
- Wash and dry your frying pan, then melt 1 tbsp of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- Scoop up about ¼ of a cup of the potato mixture and form it into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it’s about ½ – ¾″ thick.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown.
- For best results, serve immediately, while hot and crispy.
- Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
This Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes recipe is such a great way to take boring leftover potatoes and create a unique and delicious side dish that you will be sure to love!