Homemade Weed Killers
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you have any other great tips for killing weeds? Leave a comment below!
If you’ve got weeds poking up through your sidewalk or driveway, here are some great tips you can use to get rid of them! These remedies are safer for your animals, kids and home. They’re free of chemicals and will work as well as most commercially sold weed killers.
- Pull them: When pulling weeds, be sure to get the entire root! Moist soil is easiest to work with… be sure to loosen the soil around the weed before pulling.
- Boiling water: Pour boiling water on the plant and you will kill not just the visible plant but the roots as well. You are basically cooking the weeds to death. It is a really, simple, easy and TOTALLY natural way to get the weeds out of your garden. Of course, always be careful when dealing with boiling liquid. This works great on all kinds of weeds!
- Vinegar: Spraying vinegar on weeds is a simple, easy way to kill the visible plant but it will not cause the roots to die… which means the plant can (and will) grow back. For especially hearty weeds, try a mixture of vinegar, salt and liquid soap.
- Newspaper: If you have a large area of ugly weed then cover them with a layer of newspaper at least 5 sheets thick. Leave the newspaper on it for a few weeks and the lack of sun will kill the undesirable plants. What’s cool is that the newspaper can be left to decompose and become part of the soil. You can also place a layer of newspaper down in a new garden (soak it in water and cover it with mulch) to help keep weeds from even starting to grow!
- Hot pepper sauce: Spray it on just as you would vinegar.
- Alcohol: Spray it on just as you would vinegar.
Note: Dumping boiling water, spraying hot pepper sauce, vinegar or alcohol in your garden can also kill the desirable plants. These methods are best used in areas where desirable plants do not grow.
Sources: http://www.ehow.com/about_5143960_home-remedies-weeds.html http://www.gardenguides.com/76031-home-remedy-weed-killer.html http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-remedies-killing-weeds-safe-effective-3160036.html