Homemade Magnetic Chalkboard!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Love it? Pin the photo above or RePin it here!
Here is an amazing DIY project to create a magnetic chalk board!! My friend Tanja made this beautiful chalkboard and I can’t wait to make my own! I have not included measurements in this project because it can easily be tailored to fit in your own space! This is perfect to keep in the kitchen or near the door or phone for reminders!
The small shelf on the top of the chalk board was purchased at Michael’s (using a 40% off coupon of course!)… the frame and chalk holder are created out of baseboards.
- Small shelf like this one here (Optional, this is for the top and is a nice addition but a 40% off coupon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby is your best choice)
- Painters Tape
- Baseboard scraps
- Carpenter’s Glue
- Magnetic Paint (available at craft stores or Home Depot)
- Chalkboard Paint (available at craft stores or Home Depot)
- Using Painter’s tape, tape off the section of the wall that will be your chalkboard area (You could use a smooth piece of plywood if you don’t want to do this directly on the wall.)
- Paint the wall with magnetic paint & allow to dry completely (at least 4 coats)
- TIP: Make sure to keep shaking/stirring the magnetic paint as you are painting or the magnetic bits will sink to the bottom.
- Paint 2 Coats of Chalk Paint over the magnetic paint and allow to dry
- Trim baseboard scraps to frame the chalk board (Paint if desired)
- Attach the baseboards to the chalk board with Carpenter’s glue and/or nails (depending on the size/weight of your baseboards)
- Take a small scrap of baseboard and glue it to the bottom of the chalk board to hold chalk
- You can also screw in some hooks and purchase some small tin buckets to hold chalk, erasers, magnets etc
Voila! A beautiful homemade magnetic chalk board…