With just a few minutes of prep time, this delicious tortellini salad is chock-full of fresh veggies making it the perfect light side dish all summer long!
Farmers’ Market Tortellini Salad
Pasta salads are always a family favorite (and one of my go-to meals when short on time). They are incredibly easy to put together, most of the time needing just around 30 minutes from start to finish. In addition to that they are versatile as well. You can add in whatever (fresh) veggies you have on hand. Or you can add some protein to it and enjoy it as a weeknight meal.
There are several ways to make pasta salads but using tortellini instead of pasta is by far one of my favorites. It may be my love for cheese ….
For this tortellini salad I used, just like the name suggests, veggies I recently bought from the farmers’ market.
Peas, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower and grape tomatoes. With so many veggies in this salad, you get both healthy food and comfort food all in one!
I have to admit that I rarely measure the vegetables I add to my tortellini salad.
It’s usually a bunch of this, a handful of that but, since I wanted to share the recipe with you I ended up measuring how much I put it.
Keep in mind this is a starting point. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t have exactly 7 oz of fresh peas. Add 6 or 8, or leave them out.
Add the veggies that catch your eye at your local farmers’ market. This week for me it was mostly green veggies, other times I may add other colors – bell peppers, carrots, radishes.
You’ll notice the ratio of pasta to vegetables may be off from what you may be used to. You can definitely add in more pasta or use fewer veggies. Like I said – customize it to your needs.
Even though the salad comes together in less than 30 minutes, I actually prefer to make it a couple of hours ahead. Cover and keep in the fridge to let the veggies and flavors get to know each other and develop a relationship :) (as a side note, i realized the longer I kept the salad in the fridge, the more vibrant the purple cauliflower got)
Trust me, it will take your salad up a notch!
Farmers' Market Tortellini Salad
- 9 ounces tri-colored cheese tortellini fresh
- 7 ounces fresh peas
- 8 ounces green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini medium size, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 head cauliflower small, (mine was purple)
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ to ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Cook the tortellini according to the package instructions.
- Prepare a large bowl with icy water (cold water and lots of ice) to the cooked vegetables.
- In a separate pot, bring 6-8 cups of water to boil. Add some of the peas, green beans, zucchini and cauliflower and cook for few minutes until al dente. Remove the vegetables from the pot and place them into a bowl with icy water. Let soak for 2 minutes and remove to drain all water.
- Repeat the process until all the peas, beans, zucchini and cauliflower are cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked tortellini, cooked vegetables and halved tomatoes.
- Season to taste.
- In a small mason jar add the olive oil, lemon juice, chopped basil, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Shake for a couple of seconds and pour over the pasta bowl.
- Toss to coat.
If you enjoyed this tortellini pasta, you may also like