Microwave Poached eggs give you a perfectly poached egg in about a minute! If you’re like me, you love your eggs buttery soft and a touch on the runny in the very middle (poached medium)! Read on for tips on how to achieve the perfect poached eggs made in the microwave for a quick breakfast or lunch.
What is a Poached Egg?
Poached eggs are made by cracking an egg and gently cooking, with yolk intact, in simmering water (instead of frying in oil). Poaching has several advantages over frying and soft boiling:
- It’s easier to keep the yolk whole because there is no flipping.
- It’s a better way to serve eggs on top of toast or English muffins. The white cooks up silky soft with a flattened bottom and an intact yolk.
How to Poached an Egg in the Microwave
Poached eggs aren’t as daunting as they seem, especially this easy microwave recipe. It makes it these perfect avocado toast toppers a cinch! To make microwaved poached eggs:
- Add the water and vinegar to a microwave safe bowl
- Crack the egg into the bowl and gently poke the yolk a few times with a toothpick. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 1 minute, and an additional 15-20 seconds depending on how you like your eggs cooked. I love them on the softer side when they’re on toast, but it’s totally up to you!
Because microwaves vary so much, it make take you one or two tries to figure out the exact timing for your own microwave.
How Long to Poach an Egg in the Microwave
1 minute will be the base amount of time to get a soft poach, but it depends on the wattage of your microwave, the bowl you use, and the size of your eggs.
If you’re adding time (I suggest adding it in 5-10 second intervals), watch the egg carefully to ensure it doesn’t overcook. Adding just a few seconds will cook the egg more than you might expect. Remember to remove it from the water right away so it doesn’t continue to cook.
More Eggtastic Recipes
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs – super easy
- Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs – these always turn out!
- Make Ahead Egg Muffins – the best weeknight breakfast
- Avocado Egg Salad – perfect for potlucks
- Denver Egg Casserole – a delicious brunch
Microwave Poached Eggs
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
Add water and vinegar to a microwavable dish (I used a measuring cup)
Crack egg into the water and gently poke yolk 4-5 times with a toothpick. Cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave 1 minute. Check egg and cook an additional 15-20 seconds if needed. Remove from water immediately to stop it from cooking.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)