Crispy Chicken Tenders are a meal that the kids (and the adults) love!
Juicy seasoned strips of white meat are breaded with panko and cornflakes for the ultimate crunch.
Healthier than deep fried with big flavor, these have a perfectly crispy crust that’s great for dipping and dunking!
Easy Family Favorite
Who doesn’t love a good crispy crunchy piece of chicken? We sure do!
This easy recipe skips the mess (and fat) of deep frying for an extra crispy oven-baked version! The combination of crumbs in the coating create the perfect crispy texture and great flavor.
Baking the chicken at a high temperature ensures you get the crunch you’re looking for while keeping the meat tender and juicy.
What are Chicken Tenders?
The tenderloin is a nice, juicy strip of white meat located just under the breast bone. It’s simple enough to remove from a bone-in breast to make chicken tenders. But it’s way easier to purchase tenderloins separately.
Another option is to use chicken breasts and slice them into chicken breasts into 3/4 inch slices before breading.
TIP: To make cutting easier, freeze the chicken breasts for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
FLOUR/EGG The flour mixture and the beaten egg help ensure the crumbs stick to the chicken. Be sure to season each with a bit of salt & pepper!
BREADING The breading in this recipe is a combination of Panko crumbs for crunch and cornflake crumbs for flavor. If you don’t have cornflake crumbs, you can crush your own cornflakes with a couple of pulses in a food processor.
If you don’t have cornflakes, you can use crushed Rice Krispies or crushed buttery crackers (such as Ritz). Make the crumbs fairly small so they blend well with the Panko.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Tenders
It takes 3 simple steps to make these delicious homemade tenders, fresh from the oven!
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour (per recipe below) and then in egg and finally into the panko mixture.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and spray with cooking spray or olive oil spray.
- Bake until golden and crisp!
Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or make a dipping station with a whole assortment of delicious options!
Tips for an Extra Crispy Coating
- Ensure your chicken is dabbed dry before starting
- Use Panko in place of regular breadcrumbs, they have extra crunch
- Cook at a high temperature (425°F)
- Spray with cooking spray or olive oil before baking.
How to Cook (Oven Fried/Air Fryer)
Chicken is lean and these tenders don’t take long to so make sure you don’t overcook them!
How Long to Cook in the Oven: For regular oven cooking time may take the full 22 minutes. Chicken can dry out if overcooked, so be sure not to overcook!
Convection Oven: Convection ovens will cook chicken tenders evenly and leave them crunchy on the outside and oh-so-juicy on the inside (and they take less time, too)! Try convecting for 15-18 minutes, making sure that no pink remains in the center of the chicken!
Air Fryer Directions: Cook tenders in a single layer at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or just until cooked through. The second batch may need a minute or two less as the airfryer will be preheated.
- Homemade barbecue sauce
- Marinara or pizza Sauce
- Buffalo sauce
- Plum sauce or sweet and sour
- Honey mustard sauce
More Crispy Chicken Favorites
- Crispy Chicken Cutlets – 30 min meal!
- Dorito Chicken Tenders – crispy & delicious
- Fried Chicken and Waffles
- Everything Cream Cheese Chicken
- Oven Fried Chicken – tender, juicy perfection!
- Ginger Honey Garlic Chicken Tenders
Did you make these crispy chicken tenders? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crispy Oven Chicken Tenders
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast tenders or whole chicken breasts
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Cut chicken breasts into 3/4" pieces if using whole chicken breasts.
- Combine flour and seasoned salt in a bowl.
- Combine cornflake crumbs, panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika and salt & pepper to taste.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Lightly dredge chicken in flour, dip in eggs and finally dip in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place chicken on prepared pan and spray with cooking spray or oil.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until cooked through.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)