Cheese Grits are a delicious creamy side dish, perfect served alongside your Southern favorites. If you’ve never had cheesy grits, (and you’re a mac and cheese lover) you’ll absolutely love this dish!
Shredded cheddar and butter are stirred into smooth creamy grits for the best ever side dish. Serve alongside grilled shrimp or top with Crock Pot Pulled Pork.
Trying to find the perfect side dish that is both delicious and easy? Cheese grits is the perfect answer!
What Are Grits?
Grits originated hundreds of years ago and were made by grinding a corn similar to hominy or maize, in a stone mill. Once ground it was sifted through a screen where the finer bits were used as grit meal (or cornmeal) and the coarser pieces made up the grits.
Today, they are a popular southern dish and once you try them, you’ll see exactly why. They’re rich, creamy and so delicious!
Can You Substitute Grits for Cornmeal? Yes, in a pinch you can substitute but it will change the texture considerably and won’t be considered grits. Grits have coarser texture than cornmeal.
How to Make Cheese Grits
- Prepare your grits in regular fashion. Boil water, stir in the grits and simmer.
- Stir in sharp cheddar cheese, butter and a little milk until the cheese is melted and creamy.
- Serve immediately!
What to Serve with Cheese Grits: They’re super easy to make side dish that is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or they make the perfect breakfast recipe topped with fried or poached eggs! Your family will love how creamy, cheesy and delicious they are!
More Cheesy Sides
- Baked Brussel Sprouts Gratin – Simple and delicious.
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Reader favorite!
- CopyCat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Easy Baked Zucchini – Super quick and easy!
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole (No condensed soup)
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – Easy, cheesy and amazing!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup grits not quick/instant or stone-ground
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- Bring water, chicken broth and garlic powder to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add grits and cook uncovered for 18-20 minutes or thick and creamy (or follow times listed on your grits package).
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and butter until melted. (Add a splash of cream if desired).
- Serve hot.