This beef and noodles recipe is the perfect meal to come home to!
Tender chunks of beef are slow-cooked in a rich gravy and served over noodles.
This belly-warming dish delivers pure comfort and satisfaction in every savory bite!
A Family Favorite
- Make this belly warming dish with just a few pantry ingredients and some stew meat or chuck.
- Beef and noodles are super cozy and they reheat well.
- Similar to beef stroganoff , this dish has a rich savory gravy.
Ingredients for Beef & Noodles
Beef – Stewing beef or chuck are great choices for this recipe as they become will become moist and tender when cooked low and slow. Short on time? Use a bag of frozen meatballs and reduce the cooking time.
Noodles – Egg noodles hold up perfectly in the rich and beefy sauce. Medium-sized macaroni or shells are other good choices.
Variations – For a creamier style beef and noodles gravy, stir in 6 ounces of cream cheese instead of the corn starch slurry in Step 6! Add fresh sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, or a can of drained diced tomatoes, if desired.
How to Make Beef and Noodles
- Brown the beef per the recipe below.
- Cook the onion in butter until softened and the remainign ingredients.
- Cover and bake until the beef is fork-tender. Remove bay leaves and stir in parsley.
Serve the beef and gravy over the cooked noodles.
What To Serve With Beef and Noodles
- Beef and noodles can be made up to 4 days ahead, but keep the noodles separately in the refrigerator until ready to reheat.
- Reheated on the stovetop, adding a little water if needed to loosen up the gravy.
- Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags for up to 2 months and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Did you love this Beef and Noodle Recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Beef and Noodles Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds stewing beef trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 1 bouillon cube
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 8 ounces uncooked dry egg noodles
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Add the beef to a large bowl. Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt, and pepper overtop. Toss to coat.
- In a 4qt dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the beef in small batches, and cook until all sides are browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the butter and onion to the dutch oven and cook just until the onion begins to soften. Add the beef, broth, celery, bouillon cube, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cover and place in the oven. Bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoons of water. Once the beef is cooked, bring the beef to a low boil on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture until desired thickness is reached.
- Discard the bay leaves, stir in parsley, taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Serve the beef and gravy over the egg noodles.
If you don’t have a dutch oven, transfer the beef and onions to a 9×13 baking dish and cover with foil.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.