Baked Rice is a foolproof method for getting fluffy, tender grains that have just the right texture. Combine rice, water, and butter and let it bake in the oven instead of on the stovetop.
One of the reasons oven-baked rice turns out fabulous is that the heat is distributed more evenly throughout the cooking cycle. It’s also perfect to pop in the oven alongside Oven Baked Chicken Breasts, marinated pork tenderloin, or with Chicken Cordon Bleu!
Tips for Making Baked Rice
To get the best white rice in the oven, follow these tips for recipe success:
- Follow the ratios in the recipe below (and not the ratios on the package)
- Adding butter helps keep the grains from sticking.
- Boil the water before adding to the rice.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil to seal in the steam.
- Allow the rice to rest for 5-10 minutes after removing it from the oven before fluffing with a fork.
You can easily make baked brown rice too, it will take a bit longer to cook.
What Rice is Best Baked?
Any kind of rice can be baked. Just be aware that cooking times can vary greatly. Basmati rice is one of the most quick-cooking varieties. Brown rice, on the other hand, takes more than twice as long as conventional white rice.
This recipe uses regular long grain white rice. If you’re changing the type of rice, you will need to adjust the cook time.
What to Serve with Baked Rice
Baked rice is the perfect starchy side dish that pairs well with saucy recipes like Salisbury steak or Crock Pot pork chops with mushroom gravy. It’s an easy way to pre-make rice for fried rice too, or for General Tso’s Chicken!
Leftover rice will keep in the fridge for up to four days or in the freezer for up to four months.
How to Reheat Rice
To reheat rice in the oven or toaster oven, gently break up any lumps and moisten slightly with a small splash of water. Cover tightly and bake at 300°F for about 20 minutes.
Easy Ways to Cook Rice
- Brown Rice – made in the oven or stove
- Easy Rice Pilaf – filled with veggies!
- Cilantro Lime Rice – deliciously zesty freshness!
- Dirty Rice – southern comfort food staple
- Garlic Butter Rice – full of flavor!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour all ingredients into a 2 qt baking dish and stir. Cover tightly.
- Bake until the water is absorbed, 22 - 27 minutes.
- Rest 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)