This homemade Apple Crisp recipe is a classic for good reason!
Sweet cinnamon apples are topped with a buttery oat streusel topping and baked until golden brown.
Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for serving.
Our Favorite Apple Crisp Recipe
- This easy apple crisp recipe is perfect any time of year, especially fall!
- It’s budget-friendly & uses ingredients you likely have in the pantry already.
- Prep it ahead of time and bake just before serving.
Apples For Apple Crisp
- Granny Smith Apples are the best apples for this crisp recipe. They hold their shape well, have the perfect texture, and a slightly tart flavor that pairs well with the sweet crumbly topping.
- For a sweeter crisp, use a sweeter apple like Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or Pink Lady, or even combine a couple of types of apples!
Apples should be peeled for apple crisp as the skins don’t soften well.
How to Make Apple Crisp
Forget “as easy as pie”, making apple crisp is even and easier than apple pie. This crisp recipe has a generous amount of topping, it’s my favorite part!
- Prepare Apples: Peel and slice apples. Toss with all-purpose flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl (per the recipe below).
- Prepare Topping: Mix the topping ingredients together until it begins to form large crumbs.
- Bake: Place apples in a baking dish, top with the crumb mixture, and bake until golden and bubbly.
How to Freeze Apple Crisp
Freeze apple crisp either before or after baking! It will keep in a deep freezer for up to 6 months and in a top freezer for 2-3 months.
Allow the crisp to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating or baking.
Delicious Fruit Crisp Recipes
Did you love this Apple Crisp? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Apple Crisp Recipe
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar packed
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans coconut, or walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups apples peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, butter, brown sugar, pecans/coconut if using, flour, and cinnamon. Mix well until the mixture sticks together and begins to form large crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, toss the sliced apples with sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Place the apples in a 9×9 or 2qt baking dish and sprinkle with the oat topping.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and the apples are tender. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.