10 Healthy Cooking Substitutions
Summer is coming… by just subbing out a few simple things in your cooking, you can help keep on track and shed some of those unwanted pounds!
Love it? Pin it to SAVE and SHARE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Dieting can be difficult! Make it a little easier by making healthy and easy replacements for the most fattening ingredients inside of your favorite recipes. Replacements are simple ways to save you loads of calories throughout the day without completely missing out on your favorite foods.
If you have ways you make recipes healthier, feel free to share them in the comments below and I will add them to the post!
- Whole milk: Instead of whole milk, swap it out for the same amount of fat-free or low-fat milk, with a tablespoon of vegetable stock. You’ll cut down the calories without losing the taste!
- Bread crumbs: If your recipe calls for bread crumbs, try crushed bran cereal or rolled oats instead. It will give your dish a boost of fiber and cut the calories.
- Mild Cheese: Have a casserole or noodle dish that calls for quite a bit of mild, shredded cheese? Cut the amount you need in half, and make the cheese sharper or bolder. You’ll still get that awesome cheese flavor, but will cut down on the fat and calories.
- Heavy cream: Swap out the heavy cream for ½ low fat milk and ½ plain Greek yogurt. It’s simple, and delicious!
- Bacon: Swap your bacon for Prosciutto! It does fry up crispy and has that great flavor we love but the cuts will be leaner and so will your waistline.
- Ground beef: Swap out your ground beef for a little ground turkey. It won’t be as robust in flavor, so you may have to ramp it up with extra spices and some vegetable stock. But it will cut out a few grams of fat.
- Salt: If your dinner plans involve a large amount of salt, try replacing half of it with spices. It will add flavor without the heart disease.
- Pasta: Craving carbs? Switch out the bad ones for a healthier option by replacing the pasta for whole wheat pasta or even rice. Rice is much healthier, gluten-free, and is still filling and yummy. Even better, you can use grated cauliflower in place of rice or Zucchini noodles in place of pasta!
- Sugar: Replace your white sugar with some honey for the same sweetness with loads of awesome health benefits, like help with allergies and clearer skin. Honey is way better for you than sugar!
- Sour Cream: I use greek yogurt 1 for 1 in cooking and you’d never know the difference in flavor or texture! The only difference is that greek yogurt is packed with protein instead of fat!