Chocolate Poke Cake
This is one of the most amazing chocolate cakes of all time! My son calls this his favorite cake hands down!
Making a chocolate poke cake from scratch is easier than you think and it’s so worth the extra time! If you love a great chocolaty flavor, I have a little secret to share with you! Adding just a little bit of coffee to the batter brings out the rich chocolate flavor (but don’t worry, you don’t taste a coffee flavor). This even works in place of water if you’re making a boxed mix!
Originally I made this cake for my son’s 18th birthday.. but of course when you have a house full of teenage boys and a chocolate cake, getting photos is kind of challenging. *Sigh*.. so I had to make the cake AGAIN, oh the hardships, more chocolate cake! And it was just as amazing!
The cake itself is decadent and moist with an amazing rich chocolate flavor… even without the pudding on top, it is excellent!! The homemade pudding is super easy and quick and takes this cake to the next level! The whole thing is topped with my absolute favorite “poured frosting”.
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Items you’ll need for this recipe
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- Combine milk & lemon juice and set aside. (The mixture will thicken slightly)
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, coffee, soured milk, oil and vanilla. Beat medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Be sure to check the cake at 30 minutes so it doesn't over cook.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, mix well. Add in cold milk, stir until combined.
- Turn heat to medium high stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute while stirring, remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Poke the cake all over with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour warm pudding over warm cake. Tap the pan allowing the pudding to seep into the cake. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. (Frost after slightly cooled, about 30 minutes)
- In a saucepan, combine milk, butter, & sugar over medium high heat. Bring to a rolling boil and allow to boil 45 seconds. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth and shiny and immediately pour over the cake. Refrigerate until set.
Love chocolate? Here are a few more recipes you’ll want to check out!
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread (Spend With Pennies)
- Chocolate Lasagna from CenterCut Cook
- Gooey Chocolate Pudding Cake (Spend With Pennies)
- Cookie Sheet Chocolate Cake from Chef in Training
Cake adapted from allrecipes.com