Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
Love it? Pin it to your side dish board to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This is a delicious comfort dish that the whole family loves! Broccoli and rice in a creamy cheesy home-made sauce! Don’t let the sauce scare you away from this recipe. While it does take a little bit of extra time , it’s actually really easy to make and just tastes so much better than adding in a can of soup!
The great thing about this casserole is that it’s extremely versatile! Don’t have cheddar? Use swiss… you can easily add ham or chicken or whatever other veggies you have on hand to turn it from a side into a meal!
Serves: 8 servings
- 6 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup onion, diced (about 1 small)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon each garlic & black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook onion and butter on medium-low heat until softened and translucent. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in milk while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add dry mustard, paprika, cream cheese and 1½ cups cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Place broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes. You still want it slightly crisp as it cooks more in the oven.
- Stir together rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. Place in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese lightly browned.