Love it? Pin it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Save Your Locks from the Summer Sun
By mid-July, most of us have “summer hair,” … chlorine and sun damage have gotten so bad, we don’t even recognize ourselves in the mirror. Sun-bleached, dry, flaky, unruly, we try to re-tame our hair with mousse, hair spray and other chemicals, which only makes it worse. What to do?
Here are a few great tips to keep your locks looking healthy and beautiful!
- Deep condition without the chemicals. Coconut oil is a yummy butter substitute in the kitchen, but is also a fabulous hair conditioner. Melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave, and rub the oil deep into your scalp, then coat you hair with a thin layer from root to tip. Sleep in it overnight then wash it out in the morning. Your hair will be silky smooth and shiny!
- Forget the curling iron. If excessive heat outside is already damaging your hair, why add more with your hair dryer or flat iron?
- Sunscreen for your tresses. Since hair is made of dead skin cells, you should treat it the same as your skin! UVA and UVB protection are available in haircare products as well.
- A change in your daily routine. If you use hairspray or mousse every morning, try going without once a week. Put your hair in pigtails or french-braid and give your hair a chemical vacation.
- Snip snip. Keeping your ends trimmed is a must for anyone trying to grow their hair, but a monthly trim during the summer will keep those split ends from creeping up higher into your scalp.
Have a hair-healthy summer!