Slow Cooker Chicken a la King served in a puff pastry square is a super easy, creamy, comforting dish that your family and friends will love.
Slow Cooker Chicken a la King
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Who doesn’t love a good creamy chicken dish?!?! This Slow Cooker Chicken a la King is full of flavorful veggies and all served up in a flaky puff party. Yeah, you read right. Puff pastries aren’t just for desserts! But if you’re crazy and not into puff pastry you can serve this creamy chicken and veggies over any starch– pasta, rice, biscuits… whatever.
I absolutely love my slow cooker! Most people think to use it in the winter to make hearty roasts but I actually use it most in the summer time. It lets me make a delicious meal for my family while outside with my kids enjoying the beautiful sunny days. Plus, I don’t have to stand over a hot stove.
Chicken tastes amazing when cooked properly in the slow cooker. Operative word– properly. Chicken isn’t a tough meat so it doesn’t need tons of time to cook, otherwise it will become dry. When you cook chicken in the slow cooker, it takes just 3-4 hours on low and then you’ve got perfectly cooked, moist and tender chicken that shreds beautifully.
Since the chicken doesn’t need long in the slow cooker, you’ll precook the onions and celery in the microwave for 5 minutes to ensure that they are nice and tender by the end of cooking. Then just toss all the veggies, chicken, cream of chicken soup, and broth into the slow cooker and let it cook. After 3 hours, you’ll mix in the frozen peas, cream cheese, and cornstarch with water and let it cook for 30 minutes on high without the lid on. This allows the sauce to thicken. At the end you just shred the chicken and serve over puff pastry, noodles, rice… Enjoy!
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ to 2 pounds)
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken of soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 1 (17.3 ounce) box Puff Pastry Sheets (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix onion, celery, garlic and water together in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes (stir halfway through) until onions are translucent.
- Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Add the onion mixture, bell peppers, and mushrooms.
- Mix the soup and chicken broth together and then pour in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small dish and add to the slow cooker along with the cream cheese and peas. Mix in and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, make the puff pastry. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Unfold the pastry sheets and cut each into 4 squares. For each square, cut a thin strip almost all the way through on each side. Wet the dough with your fingers and then pull each thin strip onto the adjacent edge and lightly press down. Continue with each square.
- Mix the egg and water together and then lightly brush the square with it.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees until puffed and golden.
- Shred the chicken (I just shred it in the slow cooker but you can remove it and add it back). Spoon the chicken mixture over each puff pastry and serve.
More yummy chicken dinners to enjoy: