Extra Creamy Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese
Love it? Pin it! (Just click the photo)!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
If you love rich and creamy mac & cheese then this recipe is for you!! When I saw this delicious concoction over at Plain Chicken, I knew I had to give it a try! It’s very simple and although it takes a little time, it’s totally worth it!
I used cheddar but feel free to play with the cheeses for different flavors or to use up what you have on hand!
This recipe is really easy to make yet we had a few comments that it was not coming out creamy like the photograph. I work hard to make sure that every recipe on this site works well and comes out tasty and as expected.
I went ahead an made 3 batches of this recipe with different cheeses to try to see what the problem was. As you can see from the photo below, I think I’ve figured it out! When the macaroni is done cooking in the milk, you do not want it dry. You may need to add more milk to the pot if it is mostly evaporated. The macaroni noodles should be as moist as the photo above BEFORE you add in the cheese. Once you add the cheese, remove it from the stove and stir until the cheese has melted (boiled cheese will take on a grainy texture). I hope this helps you enjoy this delicious dish!
1. I used preshredded cheddar blend & added extra milk after noodles had cooked, delicious & creamy.
2. Shredded cheddar myself & added extra milk after noodles had cooked, delicious & creamy.
3. Shredded cheddar myself & DID NOT add extra milk.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2½ - 2¾ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan combine milk, garlic powder, butter and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in macaroni noodles, reduce heat to low.
- Continue to simmer stirring frequently until noodles are cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Watch to make sure the liquid doesn't completely evaporate. You can add extra milk ¼ cup at a time if the liquid is low.
- Once the pasta is cooked, ensure the noodles are not dry. They should be as moist as the photo above.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cover for 3 minutes.